Ear Infection/Hearing Loss

/ Ear Infection/Hearing Loss #21  
Sudden loss of hearing can be traumatic. Most service personnel have suffered a temporary loss of hearing. Most also have permanent hearing loss to some degree and tinnitus. One of the gifts from Uncle Sam.

/ Ear Infection/Hearing Loss #22  
It is the viral ear infections you don' t want. Had one last Sept and they do cause permanent hearing loss and tinnitus in many cases. Most of my hearing came back but I'm left with tinnitus in one ear.

3 years ago i was out with the kids at a winter festival when all of a sudden i went dizzy/ felt sick / ear ache and then severe tinnitus / 40% hearing loss in left ear , 20% in right and sensative hearing grew over the following weeks . 3 docs say viral or mild meningitis , 4 differnt ENT's say coincidence flu and noise induced hearing loss . Whatever it is it's permanent you learn to live with it .

After all the injections/ pills and anti depressants they push on you prednisone steroids were the only thing that helped .

/ Ear Infection/Hearing Loss #23  
I have problems with the eustacian tube not draining properly. My ENT puts a tube in to drain, right in the office, and it's instant relief. Instant sinus pressure relief, and hearing restored to full. Ususlly have to have it replaced every 6 months, due to it coming out, or plugging.

/ Ear Infection/Hearing Loss
Do you notice any problems with wind noise?

/ Ear Infection/Hearing Loss #25  
I have a tube in my right ear now, it was installed in April. Like DJ54, it was instant pressure relief and restoration of hearing. Didn't hurt a bit, I guess some folks have trouble with pain during the procedure. I had it checked 2 weeks ago, and it is still there and open. He wants it to stay in 1 year, then take it out. The biggest concern is to prevent any infection by introducing any fluid to that ear. Plug it during a shower, and never-never-never swim with an ear tube. Swimming in a pond would be the worst thing to do.

Ultrarunner, no problems with wind noise generally, but I do notice more wind noise while riding my motorcycle. While riding in colder weather, it would probable be smart to do something to lessen the wind hitting that ear.

/ Ear Infection/Hearing Loss #26  
I'd like to share my story for all of the guys that have tubes or have kids that have tubes. I had chronic ear infections as a kid. It seems like I was always on antibiotics or had tubes in my ears. When I hit my twenties I was diagnosed with cholestiatoma in both ears. The scar tissue from the ear infections had formed benign tumors that disolved the bones of my middle ear and grew into the soft bone behind the ear.

I had surgery that drilled out a golf ball sized hole where my ear canal and middle ear had been. I've have over a dozen surgeries to rebuild my ears. I have 70% hearing loss in both ears and wear hearing aids. I'm fortunate in that the nerves of the inner ear weren't damaged. I have conductive hearing loss and can be mostly overcome with hearing aids. If it had been nerve loss it would have been permanent.

I share this with everyone to encourage them to take care of your hearing. If you have chronic problems, get to an ENT. If you still have chronic problems go to a better ENT. Don't be satisfied with getting tubes every few months. Don't be satisfied with your doctor handing out antibiotics. If you have chronic ear infections my story will be yours. Just ask the best ENT in your area.

/ Ear Infection/Hearing Loss
Thanks for posting...

Good advice about seeking a second opinion...