Ear Protection

/ Ear Protection #11  
I too use ear protection when I am operating the backhoe a lot. My backhoe is actually not NEARLY as loud as my boss's. I will probably get one of those that has a radio in it when I actually work for an excavation company soon and I'll be in a machine way more than I am now.

Blake
WA

/ Ear Protection #12  
Sounds like this is what you want:

Pro-Ears

Costly, but supposedly very effective at suppressing harmful noises and amplifying other, non-harmful sounds (like someone calling you for dinner).

/ Ear Protection #13  
Mrs. Alan L. got me a pair of Remington T2000 earmuffs for Christmas. I use them when shooting my .357 magnum, brushhogging, chainsawing, and weedeating. They work great. They are electronic so you can hear normal sounds, but loud sounds are blocked out. I only wish they had radio built in.

The only problem is that sudden loud sounds are suppressed, and this can be dangerous. I posted pics of the severe damage to my canopy, caused when my wife drove through a limb. She was wearing the ear protection and didn't hear what I heard 150 yards away.

You can hit stuff with the brush hog and the earmuffs make it all sound normal, because the sudden loud noises are taken out. Good on the hearing, and good on the nerves, but you have to be careful.

/ Ear Protection #14  
I always wear ear protection. Tractor, chain saw, pressure washer, log splitter, blower and sometimes even the riding mower. It may be just me, but I find that is cuts down on fatigue as well.

Greg

/ Ear Protection #15  
any ear protection is better than none. it is mostly a habit u need to get into. i wish i could remember to use them more. eyeprotection i never forget.

/ Ear Protection #16  
lynnmll,
In response to your querry, when I am trying to carry on a conversation, I usally shut down the tractor and take off the muffs. In my experience the Peltor Work Tunes preclude conversation.

Bill

/ Ear Protection #17  
I too, use the Pro ears and in fact, can hear the Wifey talking to me BETTER with them on (and machine running) than with them OFF and it running.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif sigh.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I find I absolutly LOVE the silence they otherwise give me. When I got Brutus, I was amazed at how quiet it was for such a big machine... today, I can't belive how much noise it makes (after getting accustomed to the Pro ears being on)

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Ear Protection #18  
Lynnmll,

It deadens the engine noise but they are not "electronic" hearing protection that is selective for frequencies or responsive to sudden noises. I keep them on while mowing but don't wear them when I need to listen for people or other noises I might need to respond to. The electronic hearing protection models get to be very expensive if you are buying quality models ($300+).

/ Ear Protection #19  
I've become partial to insta-mold formed protection.
The make them different ways plain or with electonics they are formfitted to your ears only and are very comforable for all day. The foam one seem to give me a headache after a while these have no pressure points. While they are not cheep I've had mine for over 7 years.

insta-mold

cheers
Tony

/ Ear Protection #20  
I use ear plugs if I operate the tractor more than a few minutes at a time. I tried my shooting muffs, but it is so hot here in the summer time, I found the plugs more comfortable. The plugs have a NRR of 26 so they do a good job. Years of hunting and shooting and my ears are not what they used to be.