Early Ford 8N Steering - gets worse every year. Anyone know the fix

/ Early Ford 8N Steering - gets worse every year. Anyone know the fix #1  
Tractor
John Deere 2210
Hello,
I have one of the early years Ford 8N, before there was adjustment in the steering box. Does anyone know how to correct the issue of horrible wobbly steering. 3rd gear is pretty much useless at this point. Mowing in a field or brush-hogging are fine, but forget about driving down the driveway or on a back road. I have seen lots of posts on how to adjust the newer 8N tractors steering, but the older ones don't have that system. Does someone make rebuilt steering boxes? Is the replacement process difficult?
I would think this topic has been discussed on here before, but I couldn't find it when I searched.
If there is an older thread, I'd appreciate a link.

thanks,
Chad

/ Early Ford 8N Steering - gets worse every year. Anyone know the fix #2  
Hello,
I have one of the early years Ford 8N, before there was adjustment in the steering box. Does anyone know how to correct the issue of horrible wobbly steering. 3rd gear is pretty much useless at this point. Mowing in a field or brush-hogging are fine, but forget about driving down the driveway or on a back road. I have seen lots of posts on how to adjust the newer 8N tractors steering, but the older ones don't have that system. Does someone make rebuilt steering boxes? Is the replacement process difficult?
I would think this topic has been discussed on here before, but I couldn't find it when I searched.
If there is an older thread, I'd appreciate a link.

thanks,
Chad

You have a 2N or 9N, not an 8N. All you can do is replace parts. That steering system sucks.

/ Early Ford 8N Steering - gets worse every year. Anyone know the fix
Thanks. It's definitely an 8N. It's within the early serial number sequence of the 8's, has the correct rear wheel style, floor boards, brake/clutch setup, etc. But the early 8s were built with the front distributor, steering style and air filter system just like the 9's and 2's. Early 8's also didn't have the tach.

/ Early Ford 8N Steering - gets worse every year. Anyone know the fix #4  
Just an idea. My 8N has a hole in the nut that holds the steering wheel on. this hole vents the steering gearbox. If the tractor sits outside, rain will go down this vent and float out the oil of the gearbox. I noticed oil oozing out the nut and concluded what it was. You might check the gearbox to see if there is water in it. Over time, water will destroy these parts.

/ Early Ford 8N Steering - gets worse every year. Anyone know the fix #5  
On the early gear boxes there is some adjustment, remove the bolts holding the side covers on the shafts and rotate them. There is not a great deal of adjustment to em' but maybe it is enough to help you some. Another thing, does the steering wheel raise up and down as you steer it? IF so then the lower bearing is gone and the only thing you can do is rebuild or find a later model box to replace it with.