Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox??

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox??
I used the $6.00 Harbor Freight one to change the gearbox oil in my Woods finish mower. It didn't get all of it out, but most of it.

The HF one is cheap enough that you can just throw it away when you're done with it if you don't want to deal with leaks, drips and keeping it clean.

I picked up the $6 pump from HF today, will be trying it out this weekend. Thanks for comments ya'll.

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #12  
I usually wrap some hay twine and/or barbed wire around my output shaft, thereby allowing the bottom seal to become a drain.

OK, laughed out loud on that one.:laughing:

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #13  
I usually wrap some hay twine and/or barbed wire around my output shaft, thereby allowing the bottom seal to become a drain.

Agree with the other's, to funny.

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #14  
I use a rose gun to adjust gear oil levels. It extracts about two cups per pump - max. Probably be OK for a small gear box but for something like my hydraulic fluid(15+ gallons) - thank goodness there is a drain plug.

Another thought - I had an implement that the bottom bolt on the face plate of the gear box also served as the drain plug. It was the 3-point snow blower. That could be worth checking.

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #15  
I have owned several bush hogs and finishing mowers. The maintenance manual from the equipment manufacturer only recommends checking the oil level and topping it off when it is low. I have one bush hog that I have used over 25 years and have never changed the gear oil and never had a problem. Perhaps, the manufacturer is correct.

I sure hope you are right ,I never got a manual with mine at auction but it gets similar only longer intervals than yours.

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #16  
Turkey baster with a piece of hose to reach down in.
Get what you can. Hey! Oil does NOT wear out regardless of what you might believe.!

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #18  
Be sure to tilt the unit so all the oil runs to the back of it. I bought a used cutter years ago, water had got into it from the top gasket, oil was milky. A turkey baster did the trick, new oil & gasket, still milky.
I placed the front on a couple of 6x6's & repeated, rinsed with diesel & all is good now 6 years later.

Ronnie

/ Easiest way to get oil out of a gearbox?? #19  
I use a small hand pump with two hoses built in, one for suction and one for discharge back to a bottle to throw away. About $40 at the local auto parts store. Might save some money with a better search online.