Oil & Fuel Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets?

/ Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets? #11  
Something to consider. Years ago I strapped a universal 12 volt electric pump to an 18 volt lithium ion battery, the kind for drills, etc. Put a switch and two hoses on it.
Now you can transfer fluids easily. I use it to fill mowers, tractor, etc.
Recharge battery in it's charger. You could always just clip lead it to 12 v battery, switch inline.
I just ordered two extra pumps online from Wal-Mart $10.79.

/ Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets? #12  
I use one of these....no more 5 gallon aerobics. :)

Robot Check

Ed

/ Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets? #13  
I use one of these....no more 5 gallon aerobics. :)

Robot Check

Ed
That works also, but I'm cheap :)
The electric pump is more versatile also.
I bought this battery with charger on clearance. It works well. You could use any li-ion battery, 12 to 20v...or just clip lead to the tractor , car, mower battery.
Just my penny's worth.
20180503_140533.jpg20180503_140547.jpg

/ Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets? #14  
The old bucket on the side trick!! Sounds like a good idea. Wish I'd known about it sooner.

/ Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets? #15  
COme on ....surely this is not a serious question. We've had tractors in the past that you added 5 gallon every morning. The bucket doesn't weigh 150# . a funnel and start with the spout on top.

Sounds as like you should have fixed them , instead of pouring through oil.

/ Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets? #16  
Sounds as like you should have fixed them , instead of pouring through oil.

Thats in a perfect world where where the guy gets on his tractor a saturday and mows his yard . When its farming and a down tractor cost more than the few bucks a jug of Hyd oil cost You let the rough side drag. Those tractors were Wore out but they still got the job done . Plus you only needed to change a filter ever so often cause the fluid was fresh

/ Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets? #17  
The old bucket on the side trick!! Sounds like a good idea. Wish I'd known about it sooner.
:thumbsup: KIS(S). No paraphernalia to maintain.​

/ Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets? #18  
Just did the hydraulic/trans fluid change in mine plus front axle and differentials. Used most all of of four 5 gallon pails of oil. I used a GPI CP-5 hand pump which I got from tractor supply about 10-12 years ago. I paid about half of what they want for it now.
https://www.jmesales.com/gpi-cp-5-portable-piston-hand-pump/ It's fast, works great and empties bucket quickly straight into tractor, no mess.

/ Easy way to transfer hydraulic fluid from 5 gal buckets? #19  
A siphon will work, but will be pretty darn slow, I would think.

Do you know about rolling a 5 gallon pail on its side and pouring from the high side into a smaller, clean container? A lot of people do not know this trick. I posted a link to a video about it earlier this year and got a lot of WOW comments, as many folks don't know this. I didn't until someone showed me, so here goes... hope it helps you out. Works with any liquid in a 5 gallon bucket with spout.

Excellent video! Like someone said above, I wish I had known about that earlier!

I pour from my 5 gallon buckets into a former 2.5 gallon Kubota Super UDT container, then pour into the tractor from that. A lot less weight, not so bulky and has a more comfortable handle that doesn't move. You can get it into far more places where a 5 gallon bucket won't work.

Another thing that helps is a long neck steel movable funnel to fill the port on the tractor; something about 18" long or so.

Last edited: