eBay/Craigslist Ebay hacked

/ Ebay hacked #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
See
Mysterious 'Vladuz' again hacks eBay employee servers | The Register

A mysterious 'vladuz' is posting to ebays discussion boards using hacked ebay customer-help id's, and boasting about the huge number of recent auctions he diverted. He appears to be able to go into legitimate auctions and add something like "my inbox is full so ask-a-seller won't reach me. Instead email me at [unrelated email id]".

Links in the Register article, and Google searches on 'vladuz', will tell the rest of the story. It appears he can change auctions so that pay-it-now goes to his Paypal account rather than the auction seller's. Here's an Auctionguild story describing how the owner of an account discovered his auctions modified, and how his research led him to vladuz:
The Auction Guild Inc - ebaY Insider Hijack Scam?

This is a developing story, I don't have all the details.

As for us, I don't think I would send any payment or deposit for a tractor ahead of seeing it in person, until this gets resolved.

/ Ebay hacked #3  
I had 2 of my auctions hacked into last week. Someone was able to retract all of the bids except the 1st bid. Legitimate bidders were emailing me asking why their bids were retracted. I ended up getting in touch with ebay and they confirmed a third party had access to my auctions and was able to manipulate them. Ebay cancelled both auctions and had me change my password. I have been using ebay since April of 1999 and this is the first time my auctions were hacked. Ebay needs to take some of its profits and invest in better security.

/ Ebay hacked
dougj7 said:
a third party had access to my auctions and was able to manipulate them.
It looks like ebay is suddenly wide open for massive fraud. For example new users can only list a limited number of auctions, but a new user bypassed the control and listed 3500 scam auctions. Thousands of scam auctions have appeared simultaneously in a format that needs to be input manually, which should be impossible.

A site that tracks ebay noted other major problems. See:
FireMeg.com News Blog: February 2007 and look at the 2/22 entry.

I became interested when I noticed nearly all the hits on my canned search (equipment, limited to 200 mile radius) had no location specified and they all looked slightly similar. My ask-the-seller notes got no replies from these bashful equipment dealers.

The usual scammer flags weren't present ('email me off ebay') but this was an obvious change in the complexion of ebay equipment auctions. Something is going on, and it appears the usual warnings need to be updated. As I noted above, I wouldn't send a confirming deposit on anything before I saw it in person.

/ Ebay hacked #6  
I have never bought enything off Ebay. And don't plan to. I deal with dealers and local auctions.
I do buy stuff over the internet, but only from known dealers.

I have been involved in the bleeding edge of Tech for many years and know it is not foolproof.

/ Ebay hacked #7  
I guess my concern now is PayPal, which eBay owns. I have no idea what relationship the systems have, but now we're talking about bank account access.

/ Ebay hacked #8  
My L-39 auction was just hacked into. The "buy it Now" option was selected for $29,900. I thought the tractor was sold, but the ****** simply stole my information and started his own auction. Now Ebay says I owe $335 dollars for an item that never sold. I'm disputing the fraudulent sale and think I'm done with Ebay for good after this one.

Too many fraud buyers. It's a shame because it used to be an effective place to sell. I had pretty good results up until then.

/ Ebay hacked #9  
L39Builder said:
My L-39 auction was just hacked into. The "buy it Now" option was selected for $29,900. I thought the tractor was sold, but the ****** simply stole my information and started his own auction. Now Ebay says I owe $335 dollars for an item that never sold. I'm disputing the fraudulent sale and think I'm done with Ebay for good after this one.

Too many fraud buyers. It's a shame because it used to be an effective place to sell. I had pretty good results up until then.

Time to move to craigslist. At least the users have the ability to flag ads that are most likely fraud!!:)

/ Ebay hacked #10  
If your auction was hacked it is usually because you gave your password to someone on a phishing expedition.

They send you phony emails that look like they come from ebay with links to follow to answer. When you click the link it looks like a regular ebay sign-in page asking for your id and password. The second you sign-in they got ya! Don't ever sign in to any links from an email to ebay or paypal. Always go directly to their main website and sign in. If you ever forget and sign-in to a site from an email then go directly to that site and change your password.

I have well over 1000 deals on ebay and have never had a problem. Ebay has a lot of security features for you to follow for best results. Visit their security center for lots of guidelines.