Echo 590 or the X Series?

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I have several Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws that are nickel and diming me to death. They are in the shop, or impossible to start. I'm sure it's because I've been using cheap gasoline in them, but they are all well over a decade old and I really want something new. I have an Echo pole saw that's awesome and an Echo weed eater that been great. I like how much easier they have been to start compared to other brands that I've owned.

Home Depot has the CS-590 with a 20 inch bar on sale for $419 right now. That's what I'm planning on buying.

I just noticed that there is also the X Series available with the same size engine and bar that looks just about identical, but it's $630 for the CS-620

So far, all I've been able to see on significant difference is the X Series is 2 1/2 pounds lighter then the 590. While that's significant, I don't think it's worth $200 more. Am I wrong? Is there something else that I should know about the X Series?

My biggest priority is that I can get it started when I want to use it. For now on, I'm planning to buy gasoline without ethanol in it. There is a few gas stations that sell it now. They have a separate nozzle on the other side just for gas without ethanol, kind of like how there is gas on one side and diesel on the other side.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #2  
I have a 620P, titanium covers, different 2 ring piston, different coil etc.
The 590 is a great saw, I got the 620P since I was cutting larger fallen Ash > 30" dbh and doing more bucking and some milling. I am sure the 590 would cover what I do, but the difference in price was a little bit less when I bought.
Easier to start than my other saw with decompression button and the pull is not too bad.
usually less than 3 pulls from cold.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #3  
I also have a CS590 Timber Bear with a 20" bar and it's a very competent saw and I'm 99% happy with it. I did do some modifications to it however. I removed the top baffle plate on the muffler (retained the spark arrestor) and 'O' ringed the intake stub as well as an 'O' ring on the air cleaner stud because the stick flocked air cleaner will pass fines so I eliminated that issue.

I run all my saws on canned fuel, never gasoline from a gas pump and I use the Echo Red Armor 50-1 canned fuel. I like it because it's shelf life is 5 years. No draining the saws when sitting for a prolonged period anymore.

IMO, 2 pounds difference in inconsequential when comparing price.

I did pull the limiter caps on the carb but in reality, Echo tends to set their carbs a bit rich from the factory so I've never changed the settings.

Nice saw IMO and it comes with a greaseable roller nose bar as well.

I also have their top handle arborist saw with a 12" bar for cutting up limbs and a venerable Stihl 028 I bought at least 40 years ago and it also likes the canned fuel.

For the price difference between Stihl and Echo, I'll be sticking with Echo from here on out.

Glad you like your Echo trimmers, I'm needing to replace my tired ancient Stihl FS66 and your comment is going to have me buy and Echo this time around.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #4  
I have a 620P, titanium covers, different 2 ring piston, different coil etc.
Not titanium, magnesium alloy side cover. The 590 has a plastic side cover but in reality, it's been a non issue for me. Both the 590 and the 620 have outboard drive sprockets as well and easily replaced too. I do believe the 620 has captive bar nuts as well but again, has not been an issue with me either. The 590 is Echo's best selling saw. One thing I do like about all the Echo saws is their 5 year consumer warranty, not that I anticipate any warranty issues, they are all well built quality saws.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #5  
Not to demean Stihl at all but, Late model Stihl's seem to be getting more and more plastic parts and I do not like the Stihl gas and oil caps at all. The Echo's have the old school caps and those are just fine with me. Just sold an MS 290 to a buddy and the split fuel cap was leaking and I really don't want anything to do with the Stihl E-tronic carbs either. My old 028 is 100% magnesium alloy, even the side covers on both sides (recoil and sprocket side) and it runs like a scalded dog as well. I have a 20" bar on it with full chipper (not skip tooth chipper chain and it pulls it fine).

I believe both the 590 and 620's have fuel and oil caps you can use the recoil handle to loosen them with as well.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #6  
The Timberwolf 590 is a great saw! I have owned one for years that I inherited from my dad and it still runs like a champ. The X series is their pro series of saws and are built a little tougher inside and out, and run with more authority. I just bought the Echo 2511T X series saw and it's one bad little machine.
I don't think you will regret buying either but think you would like the 620 a tad more.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #7  
I'm on the fence about your comment simply because of the price differential.

The 590 performs just fine for me (with some modifications of course). Echo, like Stihl, likes to make the exhaust a bit more muffled than it needs to be, it is a chainsaw after all, why I removed the top baffle on the muffler. Lots of owners like to take a Dremel to the muffler, I didn't.

At some point in future (maybe), I'll exchange the 590 coil for a 620 coil (which increases the governed RPM a bit not that I feel presently for my use that it's needed) and install the 5 degree offset crank key and that is all just a maybe. It's really fine the way it is actually.

One nice thing about the Red Armor canned fuel is it really don't produce much carbon in the exhaust port or the foul the USDA spark arrestor. I'm pretty sold on it but then my saws don't get a ton if use unlike a tree company or professional arborist where the saws are used every day. If I was in that scenario, I'd be running e-free pump gas and using the Red Armor canned oil.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #8  
Eddie's comments abut his trimmers has solidified my choice in replacing my ancient FS66. Thanks Eddie...

I will say that I bought my Echo from a dealer and not a box store simply because of there was ever a warranty issue, I don't believe a box store would be the best choice in as much as box stores don't have anyone capable of addressing that should it come about, not that it would. I've read stories about people buying Husky's from box stores and taking them to an 'authorized' husky dealer and being turned away because they didn't buy it there.

From what I see, most issues come about from owners that straight gas a saw and destroy the piston and / or the cylinder which is not something that any of us would do anyway.

Interestingly, the 40+ year old 028 I own, looking in the exhaust port, there is not even any slight score marks and the compression is as good as when I bought it over 40 years ago.

I also have an 075 as well as an 090 Stihl but both of those are way too heavy for this old man so they are shelf queens with no fuel in them and just sit. One has a 4 foot bar and the other has a 5 foot 2 man bar and both run 404 chains.

I'll be buying the new brush cutter from the same dealer I got the Timber Bear from.

Last edited:
   / Echo 590 or the X Series? #9  
Echo makes some very reliable saws, if a little heavier and slower than their Stihl and Husqvarna pro grade counterparts. If you're not cutting all day, where weight and speed really start to matter more, there's nothing wrong with going Echo. I've owned several of each brand, and while I don't think I'll ever buy another Echo, I can't say anything bad about the reliability of those I've owned. They lack on performance and ergonomics, versus Stihl or Husqvarna pro saws, but there are trade-offs to consider in every design.

/ Echo 590 or the X Series? #10  
I bought the Echo 680 6 years ago, I'm still a happy camper. It starts with 2 or 3 pulls and has more power than I need.