EcoBoost engine defective?

/ EcoBoost engine defective? #41  
Precisely! It's called MTBM (mean time between failures). Ford never should have said anything about it, because people see that, and think "oh no, I've got to replace the turbos at 150k!" Truth is, diesels have had turbos for years, and people swear by them. Put them on a gasser and 'oh no!'
Yep. There are many people running turbo Volvos 300k (and beyond) on the original turbos without incident. Dad had a '98 S70 Turbo which had 240k on it when it found a power pole (thanks to some black ice) and the turbo were just starting to leak at the oil seals... I realize that the Ecoboost uses VVT and other fun stuff, but a turbo engine wouldn't worry me.

Aaron Z

/ EcoBoost engine defective? #42  
With modern oils turbo failures are not really an issue anymore. Heat is the enemy though, take the time to let that turbo cool down and you will have even less chance of a failure. Don't run down freeway on a long trip then pull off quickly and shut it down, give the cooling system a chance to take some of that heat out of the turbo before you shut down.

HS

/ EcoBoost engine defective? #43  
With modern oils turbo failures are not really an issue anymore. Heat is the enemy though, take the time to let that turbo cool down and you will have even less chance of a failure. Don't run down freeway on a long trip then pull off quickly and shut it down, give the cooling system a chance to take some of that heat out of the turbo before you shut down.

HS

You might want to read up on how the ecoboost is different from engines of the past. These turbos don't require idle time to prevent coking. They have designed the cooling system to syphon water thru the turbo even after engine shutdown. Out of habit I still idle for a few seconds after a hard pull before shutdown.

/ EcoBoost engine defective? #44  
I have a twin scroll BMW diesel, I'm aware. North of 42mpg, and 425 ft pounds of torque, 0-60 is sub 6sec. :) I've watched over the last ten years or more as the cutting technology of the high pressure diesels have started flowing into the gasser's.
It's my bet ford has a high pressure fuel pump issue, fuel quality maybe problem too, we'll see.

HS

/ EcoBoost engine defective? #45  
I have a twin scroll BMW diesel, I'm aware. North of 42mpg, and 425 ft pounds of torque, 0-60 is sub 6sec. :) I've watched over the last ten years or more as the cutting technology of the high pressure diesels have started flowing into the gasser's.
It's my bet ford has a high pressure fuel pump issue, fuel quality maybe problem too, we'll see.

HS

No, you lose that bet. The issue is (was) due to condensation inside the CAC when driving in high-humidity situations. When the user puts the hammer down, it sucks some of the moisture into the engine, causing a sputtering/shaking/stalling issue. Changes to the CAC were implemented, as well as programming changes to change some tolerances to prevent fuel cut off and timing changes. This fixes the problem.

And jejeosborne is correct.

/ EcoBoost engine defective? #46  
Running that condensation thru should stop carbon build up.:D