Economic question

/ Economic question #1  

nap61

Silver Member
Maybe the CPAs/accountants can chime-in. I have a freezer and a microwave that are going/gone. They are only 7 years old. They are high end models. I have a repairman coming out next week ($95 just to say hello). At what price point would you replace rather than repair - 40%, 50%, 60%, or?

Norman

/ Economic question #2  
$95 for the first trip to look, then he will most likely have to order parts if you decide to repair, and make another trip....you'll have couple hundred in labor + parts. (Which is why I fix all my own appliances or toss them).

Define what is wrong in 'going/gone', and I'd give a better opinion on whether to save even the 95 bucks.

But in any case, I'd not put over 50% cost of new in 7 yr old appliances. While they SHOULD last for 20-30 yrs, they simply don't much anymore.

/ Economic question #3  
Maybe the CPAs/accountants can chime-in. I have a freezer and a microwave that are going/gone. They are only 7 years old. They are high end models. I have a repairman coming out next week ($95 just to say hello). At what price point would you replace rather than repair - 40%, 50%, 60%, or?

Norman
not an accountant, just common sense... high end does not necessarily equate to high quality. Don't believe me, research audi, saab etc. and look at oil burning, repair frequency etc.
I would research the models you mentioned, and see if there are other issues just waiting in the closet to come out and bite you. We had a cheapo Frigidaire freezer that lasted 20 years, and an infinity front loader that we paid good money for that was complete junk in three years. Leaked, switches broke, lost it's mind etc.

/ Economic question #4  
Freezers, window A/C's, or refrig's are usually just better to replace. They are constantly being made more efficient [ not necessarily physically better ]... so I just would buy new. Microwave??? unless you have some fond feelings for it... pitch it and buy new.

/ Economic question #5  
Let's call your current appliance (e.g, a freezer) the Defender and call the potential replacement the Challenger. The rule is to replace the Defender if the marginal cost of the Defender (the cost of keeping the Defender an additional period, including repair cost) exceeds the average cost of the Challenger (assuming the Challenger is kept for the optimum time). Otherwise, keep the Defender.

Steve

/ Economic question #6  
Parts are usually cheap, labor is not. Always look to repair if I can fix it myself. If I can't fix it or the parts cost close to 50% of replacement (depending on age / prior history / critical nature i.e. furnace in winter) it gets replaced. It helps to know a refrigeration guy for refrigerant capture / charge.

/ Economic question #7  
get new so you're covered by a warranty. if you pay to repair then you need to factor in risk of something else breaking.

/ Economic question #8  
Parts are usually cheap, labor is not. Always look to repair if I can fix it myself. If I can't fix it or the parts cost close to 50% of replacement (depending on age / prior history / critical nature i.e. furnace in winter) it gets replaced. It helps to know a refrigeration guy for refrigerant capture / charge.
With my 4 year old dishwasher the mother board was bad.all cycles worked, but you had to manually push button to advance to next cycle. Parts were 80% of cost of new machine. I replaced it. Microwaves are usually not economic to have repairman fix

/ Economic question #9  
I don't know what to tell you. My electric stove is 34 years old and still going strong. Freezer going bonkers at seven years - never heard of such a thing. Freezers should go 25 to 30 years. My first microwave went 26 years and I replaced it with the exact same brand/model.

Your units may be top line but they apparently are still crap.

/ Economic question #10  
Your units may be top line but they apparently are still crap.

A lot of what's in the market today is junk.

I know a guy locally who is the second generation owner/operator of an Appliance Repair company. I was talking to him about a year and half ago about failure rates of new appliances. He said it was so bad that many of the 3'rd Party appliance-warranty companies decided the smart thing to do was declare bankruptcy.

If you still have an appliance old enough that it has mechanical controls, enjoy it.... most of what is available now probably won't last 1/4 of the lifespan of the old stuff.

If/when I need to replace a compressor here (fridge, freezer) I'll be taking a serious look at Sunfrost. They don't have internet access, frappacino machines, ice-makers etc. built-in, but IMO are the closest you'll find to old-school lifespans today....

^ Sunfrost also has DC options, but that's a whole other use-case......

Rgds, D.

Last edited: