economy PTO...what is that?

/ economy PTO...what is that? #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
Ive noticed in bigger tractors that they can come w/ an economy PTO. I take it to mean that this is a feature for saving fuel/wear and tear on the machine when not so much power is needed. However, how exactly does it work and whats a better description?

/ economy PTO...what is that? #2  
Jim,
Look this post. Maybe you'll find something interesting.
Hope this helps.

/ economy PTO...what is that? #3  
That post discusses 540 vs. 1000 pto which is different.

E-Pto is a way that reduces the engine speed while still allowing the pto to move at 540 rpm. This allows you to drop from 2400 rpms on the engine to 1700 rpms and still be getting 540 rpms to the pto. This feature will save fuel and is used for light duty pto applications. There is a lever that you switch from regular pto to the e-pto setting.

/ economy PTO...what is that?
Thanx!

/ economy PTO...what is that? #5  
<font color="blue"> That post discusses 540 vs. 1000 pto which is different.

E-Pto is a way that reduces the engine speed while still allowing the pto to move at 540 rpm. </font>

Just so I get this right in my mind, here is a follow up question.

Is the E-PTO really THAT different? Or is it just a two-speed PTO under a different name?

At first I thought, boy that is different, the PTO stays at 540 RPM at any engine speed from 2,400 to 1,700! Is this the case?

Or is it simply a two-speed PTO, perhaps with some safety over rides in place that prevents the engine from being run faster than 1,700 RPM if the E-PTO position is selected, so overspeed of an implement is prevented?

Or is it something different all together?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ economy PTO...what is that? #6  
As I was reading Richard's post I was thinking the same thing as Henro. I mean really, couldn't a 540/1000 RPM PTO be used as a E-PTO? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Keith

/ economy PTO...what is that? #7  
It's similar but there are a few difference. I believe a true 1000 rpm PTO has a different spline/shaft config than the standard 540. On older tractors that actually can switch speeds (as opposed to just having two permanent PTO shafts as on some bigger ag tractors) - in at least some cases I believe the single PTO shaft is removable and you are supposed to switch shafts depending on speed. Whether you can actually leave the '540' shaft in place yet have the internals set to '1000' position is a good question. May vary depending on make/model.

The economy mode 540 on the 5000's is a nice idea. The European version large-frame 4000's and 4000 Tens had a shiftable 2-speed (540/1000) PTO but not U.S. versions.

/ economy PTO...what is that? #8  
I know on the JD's that I used to run when I was a kid to change the PTO speed you had to pull the shaft out of the back of the tractor and turn it around. It had the 540 splines on one end and the 1000 splines on the other. The tractor had just one PTO lever on it. As far as running a 540 impliment at 1000 speed I would not, not even at half throttle. It just seems to easy to spin it to fast IMO.

/ economy PTO...what is that? #9  
Yes it really is that different. The new engine speed for a true 540 rpm at the shaft now becomes 1700. You run lower rpms and thus save fuel. You only use this with implements that do not require alot of hp. If you have an implement that is needs alot of hp then you go back to regular pto at 2400.

/ economy PTO...what is that? #10  
I can shift mine between 540 and 1000rpm - but I have not tried it yet. I'll have to re-read the manual, but I don't recall any warings. You would ceratinly have to be careful not to over-speed the implement. I have been thinking of trying it with my BH for light duty work - I have a PTO driven pump.

It sounds like the E-PTO is just a smaller ratio difference than the 540/1000rpm PTO. This makes sense, as 1000rpm is an 85% incerease over 540, and this might be a bit too much of a difference. It would really put the engine down in the revs, and most of the smaller engines in CUTs don't have that much of a useful range.