Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ?

/ Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ? #41  
Our Ford 3000 & MF 135 have had good long lives but are ready to be replaced. We have a 5ft bushhog, disc, cultivator, box blade, drag, and several homemade scoops for digging trees with skid steer quick attach fel. (FIL is selling skid steer but I’m keeping some parts)

I’d love a 40-50+hp tractor, but that’s pushing my budget and I’d need all new bigger implements with no money left to buy them. Father has a Mahindra 4530 fel which is a tank if I need it occasionally.

Tasks include: bushhogging fields and trails, grading 1,500ft gravel drive, planting a couple acres of corn, beans, watermelons, okra, squash, etc…, moving large potted trees, digging and planting trees for small orchard, raking limbs, landscaping, turning compost piles, moving mulch.

I’m thinking 30-35hp (minimum 25 @PTO), fel with as much lift as possible, 4wd. 5ft implements need to cover the tires, or at least come really close. Prefer: power shuttle/gst or hst, but could do dry clutched shuttle, ease of attaching implements, industrial tires.

JD and Mahindra are 5 miles away. Most other dealers are within 30 miles.

I’m struggling to find enough HP and tractor weight without going to 6ft width. Any guidance on specific models to look for is much appreciated.

I’d like to keep it under ~15k but could push that a bit for the right deal. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks
From what I've read in your post, a Mahindra 1626 shuttle will do everything you need.

/ Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ? #42  
HST+ is the main reason I didn't end up with a JD or Korean machine. 2 speed shift on the fly is nice. Every HST gearbox sucks & is fiddly to shift. Every single one. HST+ just makes it so you have to shift that clunky crash box less.

Kubota & JD are a bit better designed than the Koreans. Minimally blocking access to check/change the oil with loader mounts & things like that. But the Koreans are cheaper. It's a hard call, but I went with HST+ & haven't regretted it much.

A L4060hstc is barely ok powered at 7,000'. A l3560 would be underpowered up here in Colorado but about the same as my L4060 at sea level. I want a L6060 to go faster uphill on roads & when mowing with my big flail. But not enough to start making payments again.
On the Clunky Crash box HST range boxes,
I thought that Branson had dealt with that. by now having a fully synchronized 4 speed Range box?

Haven't had the opportunity to try one but it does look good on paper and if it works as advertised almost a Game changer I would think.

/ Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ? #43  
On the Clunky Crash box HST range boxes,
I thought that Branson had dealt with that. by now having a fully synchronized 4 speed Range box?

Haven't had the opportunity to try one but it does look good on paper and if it works as advertised almost a Game changer I would think.
It's not rocket science to make a synchronized tranny. But it does cost more. Presumably every manufacturer has decided that it's a good compromise. It's not an unreasonable corner to cut given the lower amounts of shifting needed on a HST vs a pure geared machine. Annoying enough to make HST+ more useful. I could see somebody making a synchroed tranny to try & close the gap to HST+.

/ Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ?
HST+ is the main reason I’m considering blowing my budget out the water. Ran dads shuttle shift bushhogging in the woods a couple hours this weekend. Drove me nuts. And there’s no way to do precision loader work without riding the clutch. I’m use to the responsiveness of a skid steer, the shuttle shift kills me. No way my wife or kids can work that either.

I purposely ran the 5ft cutter which covers about half the width of the rear tires. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be, and I might even prefer it. Not once did I clip a tree with the edge of the cutter. If the tires clear, cutter clears. That’s helpful around trees.

/ Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ? #45  
It's not rocket science to make a synchronized tranny. But it does cost more. Presumably every manufacturer has decided that it's a good compromise. It's not an unreasonable corner to cut given the lower amounts of shifting needed on a HST vs a pure geared machine. Annoying enough to make HST+ more useful. I could see somebody making a synchroed tranny to try & close the gap to HST+.
edit: Removed previous post
Not sure the Info I posted is correct. Need to verify

Last edited:
   / Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ? #46  
Planning to go drive a L4060 ($27k <500hrs) this week. It has the ideal combination of size, HP and features I want, but will push the budget to the max. No rear remotes.

Local used LS XR4140 is very similar size/hp and comes with 2 real remotes, but shuttle trans and nearest dealer is over an hour away, and a small mower shop at that.

Farmer friend is selling a similar size/weight but more hp JD 5205 with fel but only 2wd ($14k) and no creature comforts.

Used Mahindra 3550 PST $25k, good deal bigger/stronger all around, but maybe too big/heavy.
I bought an L3560 last year and the thing is sex on wheels. I love it. I have zero to say bad about it.
I did go hog wild, cab, top and tilt, 3rd function, taint tickler.... Almost $60K when said and done.
But... I plan it to be a lifetime tool unless I sell it and downsize.
I think my tractor is sexy :)

/ Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ? #47  
Well, not $60k but 2 years ago I picked up an L3800 / fel with 200 hrs on it. Just a basic tractor. The PO used it for hauling firewood, apparently with a trailer. I don't think anything was ever on the 3 point. He just used a draw bar. Other than some small dings in the hood from branches it was in great condition. $17k
Since then I've added a TNT and 3 rear remotes, one piped to the fel for a grapple. Its been a very good machine for me. Now has just under 500 hrs.

/ Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ?
Found a nice L4060 ~300 hours semi-local under $25k but it’s GST.

The HST+ I’m seeing are $27+k

I’m thinking it’s worth the premium. That’s pretty much the main selling point.

Dad says he’ll put the money from selling the 2 older tractors towards this one since he’ll be using it too. Patiently waiting for the right one…fingers crossed for 2 rear remotes and 3rd function already plumbed. A guy can dream right!

/ Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ? #49  
Planning to go drive a L4060 ($27k <500hrs) this week. It has the ideal combination of size, HP and features I want, but will push the budget to the max. No rear remotes.

Local used LS XR4140 is very similar size/hp and comes with 2 real remotes, but shuttle trans and nearest dealer is over an hour away, and a small mower shop at that.

Farmer friend is selling a similar size/weight but more hp JD 5205 with fel but only 2wd ($14k) and no creature comforts.

Used Mahindra 3550 PST $25k, good deal bigger/stronger all around, but maybe too big/heavy.

The Deere is going to be similar to the Ford 3000 in terms of size and weight but it will have somewhat more power. Like the Ford, it will be a little larger than the Massey-Ferguson. The Deere is also a Tier 2 machine, so no particular filters or catalysts. The Kubota L4060, LS XR4140, and Mahindra 3550 are all Tier 4 "emissions" machines.

$14k for a 2WD 5105 with a loader is a good price as long as it is not in terrible shape or have 10,000 hours. It has at least as many "creature comforts" as your existing tractors, so if you were able to do your work with the Ford 3000 or the MF 135, you would be able to do it with the Deere.

/ Edited Title - Kubota L4060, LS XR4141, or ? #50  
Found a nice L4060 ~300 hours semi-local under $25k but it’s GST.

The HST+ I’m seeing are $27+k

I’m thinking it’s worth the premium. That’s pretty much the main selling point.

Dad says he’ll put the money from selling the 2 older tractors towards this one since he’ll be using it too. Patiently waiting for the right one…fingers crossed for 2 rear remotes and 3rd function already plumbed. A guy can dream right!
Some Kubota owners increased the hydraulic pressure which increase the loader capacity on their L tractors.
Personally I think Kubota intentionally keeps the hydraulic pressure lower than other mfg's just so it puts less stress on the tractor.
The HST is worth it.