Efficiency of operations

/ Efficiency of operations #1  

D7E

Veteran Member
Tractor
Versatile 895 Versatile 876 Ford TW20 Ford TW5 MF 3505 FWA MF 390 FWA Ford 7600 Fiat 766 FWA JD 2030 MF 165 MF 35 Fordson major x 3 CAT 416 b Backhoe Case 580 b backhoe MF
I recently filled out a questionaire aimed at fuel usage on large farms and efficiency,It was promotional for bio fuel .I thought it would be interesting to compare to "acreage users".
Add up all your diesel enines hp and divide by your acres ?
Mine was .2309hp / 1400 acres =1.64 hp per acre.
Gives a good idea as to "What do i need" threads ?

/ Efficiency of operations #2  
Hmmm... My numbers are 24 horses / 5 acres = ~5HP/acre. It appears that HP needs would go down as the acres rise, which is not necessarily true. So it's interesting, but doesn't appear to be realistic. But that's my view, which should not be considered reliable!

/ Efficiency of operations #3  
It may also depend on what you do with the acres. My 63 HP/200 acres give me 0.32 HP/acre. It takes a lot more diesel to grow grain than it does grass and trees per acre.

/ Efficiency of operations #4  
I have a JD 790 28 hp I think and I farm about 15 acres

I mostly run beef critters and buy all my hay so I don't need much big equipment. I move Dry Round bales (500lbs or so), Haul Fire wood and Saw logs, Mow about 2 acres of brushy field and 3 more grass fields, Maintain 1/4 mile of dirt road, move lots of snow around here, dig out a few stumps now and then, plow and disk 12 acre or so, and load and spread manure.

I was told I needed more tractor for my usage but I am very pleased with the one I got, even more pleased with my fuel bill. Some things may take a little longer but I cope.

/ Efficiency of operations #5  
VABlue said:
.... It appears that HP needs would go down as the acres rise,
Couldn't resist 34hp for 2000+ acres = 0.017hp/acre. I do cheat and occassionally bring in two larger tractors, but the 34hp is based on site.

/ Efficiency of operations #6  
I had to figure mine and it came out as 351.5 hp / 17.5 acres = 20.086. That includes 3 tractors a backhoe and a bobcat. My handle ought to give it away besides a man hast to have toys.

/ Efficiency of operations #7  
D7E said:
I recently filled out a questionaire aimed at fuel usage on large farms and efficiency,It was promotional for bio fuel .I thought it would be interesting to compare to "acreage users".

2005 Kubota B7510HST with LA302 FEL: 17 hp pto
1964 Massey Ferguson MF-135 diesel: 38 hp pto
10 acres

5.5 hp/acre.

It all depends on the jobs that your tractor(s) are doing.

The 7510 works OK for mowing, hauling, scraping, rototilling, light plowing with a middle buster. If I limit myself to these chores, it's 1.7 hp/acre.

But the 7510's not much use for serious tilling, in my case about 7 acres of hay. That's why I have the 135 and that gives 5.5 hp/acre.

Don't know how much use a "single figure of merit" number like this is for someone shopping for his/hers first tractor.

/ Efficiency of operations #8  
JD 5105 utility tractor, 47 PTO hp
20.5 acres
2.29 hp/acre

I think I have about the right machine for my tasks. Could have gotten by with a bit less, but this machine makes things safe and easy. Also, I'm burning less than 1.0 gal/machine hour, even though I'm not idling it much and thought (???) I was using it decently hard.

/ Efficiency of operations #9  
D7E said:

Mornin D7E,
Well it looks like Im well up there on the curve ! :confused: 32 hp on 10 acres 3.2 hp / acre, then why for Gods sake am I always lookin at bigger tractors ??? ;)

BTW thats not factoring in the Farmalls' :)

/ Efficiency of operations
Well i followed this and german ,british, french,american,australian ..You name it ,They all replied and farms from 5-10'000 acres and 1.64 seems to be average ,Aint that funny with all our expense we are still in line ,With our so called "Yank gas burners"?