EHSS

/ EHSS #11  
RollingsFarms said:
can someone go into more detail about the EHSS? how does it work? is it a cross between HST and gear transmissions? would it be ideal for disking and running a rotary cutter?

I plow, rototill and bush hog with my EHSS (power shuttle) all the time.
Bob

/ EHSS #12  
RollingsFarms said:
can someone go into more detail about the EHSS? how does it work? is it a cross between HST and gear transmissions? would it be ideal for disking and running a rotary cutter?
The shuttle lever operates electric solenoids which activates hydraulic clutch packs. Usually one pack for forward and one for reverse.
Pretty simple compared to a hydro.

/ EHSS #13  
I guess the newer ones are different as to the pedal. My 2120 has a conventional clutch, between the engine and the clutch packs. It's two-stage for drive and PTO.
The EHSS works great, since as Doc Bob says you can run at moderate rpm (I use the foot throttle a lot) yet still have the easy reversing. And when you're working in a field, you have the simple operation of a gear tractor.
I also rev down before reversing, to save strain on the parts, but it will reverse at full rpm. Also have a turtle/rabbit switching the speed of the reversing. I stay in rabbit most of the time.
Mine hasn't broken (1300 hrs, 1993) so I think it's swell!
Jim