Electric Break Control

/ Electric Break Control #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
My electric trailer break control on my P/U does not seem to be working. Does anyone know of a method of testing it?
Thanks Steve

/ Electric Break Control #2  
First I would check the fuse for the brake controller, if that is good then check the pin in the truck end of the trailer wiring harness, if that is good, work your way down the harness going from the trailer tongue to the brakes. Oh yea, make sure you have a good ground connection between truck and trailer. Kevin

/ Electric Break Control #3  
Depending on what kind of controller you have, it may not have output without a trailer hooked up. But you can check some circuits. Power to controller (usually a red wire) should have 12 volts with the key on. Brake pedal input (green wire) should have 12 volts with brake pedal depressed. Ground to controller (white wire) should be a good clean ground. Controller output (usually a blue wire) should have voltage when the controller is activated. Voltage will vary depending on how the controller is set (gain). There may be another wire that would be for illumination but most don't use it.
Hope that this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Electric Break Control #4  
If you have a GM truck, there are two sets of fuses to check, one under the dash, the other under the hood. The one under the dash is for the special harness that comes with most new trucks for a controller.

/ Electric Break Control #5  
Mine has a green light when trailer is connected. What kind is yours? That might help us figure out something.