Electric Pto engagement

/ Electric Pto engagement #1  

Clint199

Tractor
JD 4500 w 460 loader and MF 230
Hello, I have a JD 4500. It has an electric PTO engagement pull knob. Everything works correctly.
My question/concern is when I am using my bush hog type mower, when I engage the mower even at low rpm’s it is a violent slamming sound and seems that the dump of torque on the pto shaft might cause damage to the mower or to the gearbox of the tractor. Am I doing something wrong or is that the way an electric PTO works?

/ Electric Pto engagement #2  
It's just the way it works. The mower can take it. Keep engaging it at low engine RPM, it's about the only thing you can do to help it.

/ Electric Pto engagement #3  
Try slowly rotating the PTO knob until it just starts to turn the pto/implement then release it a second then re-engage it, that's how I do mine. That way it gets the pto moving but doesn't apply full force/torque. I also only engage or dis-engage the pto at idle, making sure the engine and pto have slowed to minimum speed.

/ Electric Pto engagement
Thanks—Rather ask than tear something up

/ Electric Pto engagement #5  
There should be orifice in the PTO circuit to control how abruptly the PTO engages. This is kind of a balancing act on allowing the clutch to slip a little but not so much you burn the clutch plates.

/ Electric Pto engagement #6  
The initial rumble when you turn on the Pto with a brush hog attached, are the knives. They are kind of "folded" in on the stump jumper and have to sort themselves through centrifugal forces.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2012 International DuraStar 4300 22FT Rollback Tow Truck (A32932)
2012 International...
John Deere 7445 Cotton Stripper (A33041)
John Deere 7445...
Unused 2024 Steelman 20ft Farm Metal Driveway (A33079)
Unused 2024...
2019 Elyx Smart Technology Holdings Zebra Electric (A33078)
2019 Elyx Smart...
2013 E-One Typhoon Pumper Fire Truck (A32932)
2013 E-One Typhoon...
(20) Unused Fluorescent Safety Traffic Cones. (A33079)
(20) Unused...