Electric Service Panel questions

/ Electric Service Panel questions #11  
I am liking the manual transfer switch, even if in a generator-ready load center, more and more. :)

I have a manual switch and I have never regretted it. It is low-cost and highly flexible.

I could see a full-blown whole-house auto start/transfer set up for those who have a critical medical condition, are unable to physically deal with a manual generator, or for those who travel away from home often.

/ Electric Service Panel questions #12  
Tom, The electric man put my switch in today it's called a Breaker Interlock Switch sold on line in Virginia,easy hookup, when you flip the switch it turns off the main so only one can work at a time,one plug, took about 1 1/2 hours to hookup very simple.

/ Electric Service Panel questions #13  
Manual all the way. The automatic switch is almost useless unless you can configure it with yoru current genny to start and run when needed. They are also a third or less of the price.

/ Electric Service Panel questions #14  
When I installed the manual change-over switch I also typed out a detailed instruction sheet for starting the generator, what to shut off BEFORE pulling that change-over switch (items such as the computer due to the initial power surge, shutting off the 50 amp breaker to the hot tub - can't run that off of a 7500 watt generator,) and how to make the final change over from municipal power to our generator. Laminate the sheet so it can be taken outside when it is snowing/raining.

This system has worked superbly multiple times. The power has gone off many times when my wife was home alone and that list was a God-send for her to make sure that everything was done in the proper order.

/ Electric Service Panel questions #15  
tkappeler said:
I am liking the manual transfer switch, even if in a generator-ready load center, more and more. :)

I have had generators for 20 years and all sizes and a manual switch is not a bad way to go. You only need limited circuits during an outage anyway. Best use of money and maintenance for the future. From a guy that now has a whole house auto system that is over kill.