Electric UTVs

/ Electric UTVs #52  
Update on the Hisun Sector E1.

We had a critical failure at about 25 miles. Had not even charged it yet. It threw an error code. Manual said to charge it. That didnt work. It went into a kind of limp mode.

Tried a few suggestions from the dealer. Those didn't work, so I used the winch to load it on the trailer and took it in for them to fix.

The dealership is very nice, but some of them are a little lax with communication. They tried and tried. Eventually got Hisun involved. Short version is they couldn't fix it, so Hisun sent us a brand new one. Warranty started over with new unit (in writing). No problems with the new unit except I forgot that it has a seat belt lockout that forces it to Low. Dealer was going to have a guy pick it up...I had to admit I'm an idiot. 😀

For those interested - Low goes up to 10 MPH. 15 in M and 25 in H. For us, it is just right in that regard. Power has been good. Also discovered how to disable the beep. It sure makes projects easier.

/ Electric UTVs #53  

We had a critical failure at about 25 miles. Had not even charged it yet. It threw an error code. Manual said to charge it. That didnt work. It went into a kind of limp mode.

Tried a few suggestions from the dealer. Those didn't work, so I used the winch to load it on the trailer and took it in for them to fix.

The dealership is very nice, but some of them are a little lax with communication. They tried and tried. Eventually got Hisun involved. Short version is they couldn't fix it, so Hisun sent us a brand new one. Warranty started over with new unit (in writing). No problems with the new unit except I forgot that it has a seat belt lockout that forces it to Low. Dealer was going to have a guy pick it up...I had to admit I'm an idiot. 😀

For those interested - Low goes up to 10 MPH. 15 in M and 25 in H. For us, it is just right in that regard. Power has been good. Also discovered how to disable the beep. It sure makes projects easier.
Do you mean 250 miles?

/ Electric UTVs #54  
I would like the quietness of the electric UTV but need more cargo bed capacity (weight and cubic feet) as well as range.

/ Electric UTVs #55  

Good deal. Like to see warranties that work.

It would have been better had the dealer come get your UTV instead of you delivering it.

Sounds like a good machine for those that don't need the extra speed or range.

/ Electric UTVs #56  
Good deal. Like to see warranties that work.

It would have been better had the dealer come get your UTV instead of you delivering it.

Sounds like a good machine for those that don't need the extra speed or range.
I think if i would have asked, he would have come out. I had the time and I don't like to be that whiny customer. Dealer is in Paris, so the drive was nice. The US HQ is in McKinney. The dealer sent their driver to pick up the replacement (normally would wait for mfg to deliver to them).

/ Electric UTVs #57  
I think if i would have asked, he would have come out. I had the time and I don't like to be that whiny customer. Dealer is in Paris, so the drive was nice. The US HQ is in McKinney. The dealer sent their driver to pick up the replacement (normally would wait for mfg to deliver to them).
Paris is about an hour north of me. I might have to get up there and test drive one.

/ Electric UTVs #58  
Do you mean 250 miles?
No, 25. Having worked with computers in a prior life, I am not 100% surprised. Most likely cause was the controller board (basically a computer). Some units are going to have problems out of the gate. We knew that a HDD would either fail in the first month or two or would last for many years.

/ Electric UTVs #59  
No, 25. Having worked with computers in a prior life, I am not 100% surprised. Most likely cause was the controller board (basically a computer). Some units are going to have problems out of the gate. We knew that a HDD would either fail in the first month or two or would last for many years.
Wow, 25 miles in 5 months is very low usage.

I went and looked your buggy up last night and nothing near me. I have a Kawasaki Mule that has been great except for the noise and low speed (25 mph). We use it around the homestead and to visit friends or pick up mail. Mailbox is 2.5 miles down the road...live in the middle of nowhere. Nearly bought an electric golf cart, but decent used ones were $5000+ with no warranty and the Mule was $8600 IIRC with 3 year warranty. Wanted a dump bed too.

Been thinking of an electric UTV but cannot justify the cost. The batteries are not cheap either. I figure about $1200 every 8 years. That is about 50 gallons of fuel/year for my SxS. I am using about 30 gallons a year but would use it more if it had more speed.

The Polaris is over $30k and has the speed. Every other EV is in the 25-30 mph range...not much better than the Mule and far less range.

Might trade for a Kawasaki Tyrex. They are not cheap at $15k. But nothing is cheap anymore.

/ Electric UTVs #60  
It wasn't 5 months before it broke down. I didn't want to just post that it broke until I had a resolution. It did take a long time, but I had other things I needed to do, so I wasn't pushing hard either.