electric vehicles

/ electric vehicles #161  
🤔
I think 36 mpg is still 36 mpg whatever the price, otherwise someone getting 36 mpg in San Francisco paying $4.40/gallon could be said to be getting 51 mpg driving through NH at 3.09/ gallon.😆

What’s the equivalent mpg of a battery vehicle charging off a $15k solar system?
I think differently than you.

I would gladly purchase a vehicle that only got "only" 15 mpg if the fuel for it was $.50/gal. That works out to about the same cost as home charging an EV, $.033/mile. But I will not buy an EV to get those savings due to other issues with EVs in rural MI.

Diesel fuel today in my area is $3.89 and gas is $2.99. That is a difference of 30%. So unless the diesel vehicle gets more than 30% more mpg, there is no savings in using diesel. 20 mpg in my F150 works out to $.15/mile. 26 mpg in my buddy's diesel RAM works out to $.15/mile. He paid about a $6000 premium for a diesel and is happy. He brags about his mileage, and I shrug.

YMMV?

/ electric vehicles #162  

I would gladly purchase a vehicle that only got "only" 15 mpg if the fuel for it was $.50/gal. That works out to about the same cost as home charging an EV, $.033/mile. But I will not buy an EV to get those savings due to other issues with EVs in rural MI.

Diesel fuel today in my area is $3.89 and gas is $2.99. That is a difference of 30%. So unless the diesel vehicle gets more than 30% more mpg, there is no savings in using diesel. 20 mpg in my F150 works out to $.15/mile. 26 mpg in my buddy's diesel RAM works out to $.15/mile. He paid about a $6000 premium for a diesel and is happy. He brags about his mileage, and I shrug.

YMMV?
We don’t think that differently. I was just pointing out you equated $/fuel volume, with distance/fuel volume.
When I figure $/distance, I try to factor total cost of ownership including depreciation, repairs, tires, accessories needed, etc.. not just the fuel.
Related example…
My younger self included, I’ve seen countless guys disillusioned with their “money saving “ motorcycle purchase, that they were confident would save by riding summers instead of using their car or truck.
A few years of rear tire replacements every 5k miles at $200 a pop for just the tire, and $170 for front tires every 12k miles, combined with added registration, inspection, and insurance, more than wipes out the better mpg gains.
I’ve run the #’s for a couple coworkers. They were amazed they’d be ahead $ if they just kept driving the 4 wheel vehicle.
Mora of that last story..don’t buy motorcycle to save$. You won’t. Buy it because you like to ride

Last edited:
   / electric vehicles #163  
My brother was a struggling college student paying his own way through UC Berkeley.

His 4wd F250 was simply too expensive plus campus parking was expensive even then.

He bought a cheap Honda 250 and saved a bundle his 4 years... plus no fee to park... kept the truck non op status for later...

/ electric vehicles #164  
My younger self included, I’ve seen countless guys disillusioned with their “money saving “ motorcycle purchase, that they were confident would save by riding summers instead of using their car or truck.
A few years of rear tire replacements every 5k miles at $200 a pop for just the tire, and $170 for front tires every 12k miles, combined with added registration, inspection, and insurance, more than wipes out the better mpg gains.
I’ve run the #’s for a couple coworkers. They were amazed they’d be ahead $ if they just kept driving the 4 wheel vehicle.
Mora of that last story..don’t buy motorcycle to save$. You won’t. Buy it because you like to ride
[/QUOTE]
Yep.

I guess if your best MPG vehicle is 15MPG a bike can save on gas in the summer and riding does do something for feeling "Alive".
I never get off of the kz or the yz without a smile.

/ electric vehicles #165  
HERTZ has a BIG problem with EV's
No one wants to rent one and they are going to sell 20,000
EV's at a loss of $250 million dollars they are going to
purchase gas powered vehicles. EV's are really making a
big impression on people!

A slap to the face to ***** FOX news

Rent a Car in Dubai
willy
Seems a good research on them as I am also not going to rent a car from them also.

Last edited:
   / electric vehicles #166  
Seems a good research on them as I am also not going to rent a car from them also.
One has to also wonder if the (USA CROWD), Us Sue All crowd had anything to do with Hertz's decision. I have never seen a hand controlled electric motor vehicle has anyone else????

According to some, the 20,000 projected sale of electric vehicles would represent 1/3rd of Hertz's Electric Fleet.

/ electric vehicles #167  

YMMV?

There’s also the torque advantage, towing advantage, engine longevity advantage and the resale price advantage that a diesel has.

I have been hunting for a chevy diesel 1-ton for a few months. The search engine also brings up gas trucks. $15,000-$20,000 is my search price range.
If its a similar truck with a gas engine, it’s asking price is about $10,000.

So you usually get it all back when it’s time to sell.