Electric window motor for snowblower help.

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #11  
Mine too, a rod connected to the top part of the chute slides through a washer on the bottom part of the chute and the spring rides on the rod to keep it in alignment.

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #12  
I have used a window motor for many years to both rotate the chute and to deflect the snow and in my opinion they work best if you have the two wire motors and just reverse polarity so you don't need a dedicated ground. Also the rotation motor works best if you have the newer cable less type chute that has the screw that rotates the chute. That being said I used one on a cable type for years also! I will try to get pics for you tomorrow!I might have the window arm part from previous application. I will look tomorrow also. If I do you may have it for the price to ship it to Maine!

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help.
What I had planned is to weld round rod to both sides of the nut traveling the threaded rod. The brackets on the part of the deflector that moves will have a long slot just wider than the round rod welded on the nut. Im hoping that the round rod will push forward the deflector as it travels up the long slots of the brackets on either side of the nut and also allow the nut to pivot slightly as the deflector moves along the arc. The motor side I was thinking of mounting rigid, but mabey if I leave the bolts loose and allow the motor to tilt as the rod moves might work better?

Yeah the snowblower is the newer front mounted type only about 8 years old with the screw rotation. How did you use the window arm part along with the motor? I cant seem to picture it in my mind. Would love to see pictures if you have time. Thanks

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #16  
I looked for the window regulator arm but could not find it. Here is a pic of the part I am talking about. window regulator.jpg it is the arced part with the "teeth" on it and I removed it from the rest of the regulator and welded it to the deflector and bolted the motor to the chute.

On my newer snowblower I used the linear actuator, here are the pics of that.image.jpgphoto.jpg

here are the pics of how I used a window motor to rotate my chute image - 3.jpgimage - 4.jpg I put a small piece of round stock in the tube part with the screw on it and attached a love-joy coupling to that and the motor to connect the two.I have had it for 8 years and no problems! I do keep my tractor in a garage so all snow melts off but my old tractor I kept in an unheated garage but swept all snow off after each use.

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #17  
I think I miss spoke when I said I got the linear actuator on Ebay. I am sure I got it from Surplus Center and also got the mount kit for it.

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #18  
I went out to the garage yesterday and found my old chute of the snow blower and it had the lift arm part on it so I took some pics for ya. I remember that I had to mount the motor in a trial and error type test. The motor I mounted so that the deflector would not contact it in it's swing travel then held the "tooth bracket" and rotated it to make sure it had enough travel to move the deflector which wasn't too hard. I purchased a front mount for my Kubota B7510 from a dealer that quit selling Kubota he had it in the show room and could not return "whole good" so I got it at a great discount it came with the chute and rotation screw so I converted my older blower to the newer setup and no longer use the old chute. image - 3.jpg image.jpg photo.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Still working on welding and fabbing some parts to try and make this work, mabey I will have a working model by summer lol.

/ Electric window motor for snowblower help. #20  
Jim, your idea about the threaded rod and nut sounds good in theory. You would have to mount the nut on a pivot so that the rod would not bind in it as its position changes. (The motor end should also pivot.) The speed would depend on the motor's RPM and threads per inch on the rod and nut. You may need to protect the rod and nut (motor, too) from ice and snow buildup. You are building a linear actuator!

Yep you are reinventing the wheel so to speak, but you work with what you have available. I agree with pivot on both ends. Weld a shark fin on the back of your chute and drill a hole in it. Weld on a bolt or drill a hole thru a piece of pipe and use a bolt for the pivot at the fin. Weld the nut on the other end of the pipe. Screw your threaded rod into the nut and drive it with the window motor. Fabricate a pivoting bracket to mount the motor on and you have your linear actuator. The pipe will protect the threaded rod. You can add a grease fitting to it too if you wanted. You could also slide a larger dia pipe over to protect the threaded rod lower section when its extended.

Or, you could just buy a linear actuator and just have to fabricate the attachment brackets at each end. Might be simpler and even cheaper in the long run.