Electrical code & "Grandfather clause"

/ Electrical code & "Grandfather clause" #31  
I don't understand the hate for DIY electricians here. I am a self taught DIY electrician, mainly because I had to become one. Many of the licensed jokers don't give a crap about the junk they leave behind as long as the check clears. I have to live in the house with those I love!

My parents' house was built new in 79. I am still finding bad connections from time to time when a light quits working. I am also not a fan of how the 200 amp service consists or a pair of 100 amp panels. The first house I purchased was built in the 50's the "professionally rewired" much later. Needless to say the re-wiring consisted of only a new breaker box and what was easy to see. Look inside the walls and you'd see all sorts of crumbling ungrounded wires. Some circuits would supply to parts of 4 or more rooms, the hallway light was off the GFCI in the bathroom, and the kitchen was just a plain mess. My current house is an absolute nightmare. I've redone about half of it so far, and the rest needs to be redone too. I am also going to run sub-panels to 2 outbuildings before too long, maybe I'll get one done this summer.

ps. The Knob and Tube stuff in my current house is the best stuff in it apart from what I've redone.

I don't think it hate you hear just frustration at times..

/ Electrical code & "Grandfather clause" #32  
Personally, I don't hate anyone..Especially Not DIY'sers...The hazards are always there...AS GR said,, Welders, panels and Genset, problems run here regularlly...Everyone has an opinion, code books change everyyear..We have the best available, illustrations help clear some of the fog...I do not Wire houses, only if trapped by In-laws , will I open their panels.. I have seen way too much crap installed, by People whom are Diy or even person whom hire out as Electro's.....Inspects have their hands full, trying to be effecient....Mis-interpetation can be by one word, as in Stationary or portable??

/ Electrical code & "Grandfather clause" #33  
My basic point is you get dangerous idiotic short cuts from home owners as well as "pros". At least the amateurs can plead ignorance. The ones who are paid to do the work can only plead incompetence and/or apathy.
Another example; The mobile home I am tearing apart doesn't even use junction boxes in the walls, just twist nuts! and half of the ground wires are ignored or snipped. I'm not sure when it was built, but it is new enough to have a modern breaker box (maybe I'll re-use it as one of my sub-panels) and modern wiring.