Electrical dryer help?

/ Electrical dryer help? #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
The dryer stopped working. I took it apart and found a piece of metal from the fan housing was blocking the fan, after removing it, it worked fine for a load or two. Now it will start just fine, but in short time - under 30 seconds it starts making funny noises and stops. First take is a confused thermoswitch - I replaced it before but back than it just stopped working.

The exhaust lines are clean, we clean the filter at least once every load. It is Admiral Mega 22, ,but I am looking for general directions/ideas how to approach it. The plan is to take the front off, drum out and try to make the motor run with no load.

My biggest concern is that the motor got damaged when the metal was blocking the fan.

Ideas? Suggestions? - all very appreciated - thank you.

/ Electrical dryer help? #2  
Move it into a large area so you got room to work. Keep all young children out of hearing range. Hide all large hammers.

It's been over twenty years since I had one apart. There was an electrical short and then an element burned out and then it got to go the retirement place for all old driers!:D

On the other hand there is an alternative solution::p
Australian Clothesline and Clothes Line Store stocking Indoor and Outdoor Clotheslines throughout Australia, including Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide

Attachments

• clothes line.jpg
    clothes line.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 140
   / Electrical dryer help? #3  
Sounds like a logical plan, I would try to blow out all the dust and lint from the motor and smell it to see if it has a "cooked" odor. It may have burned up if the air was significantly blocked. Sure sounds like it's over heating, bearings maybe? I would think unlikely but who knows. Get the motor out and possibly carry it to an appliance repair shop and let them check it out if you don't find something obvious. I would think the motor has an internal overheat sensor, maybe that failed?? If it runs for s bit then makes noise and stops, sure sounds heat related.

/ Electrical dryer help?
Egon, the laundry in our house goes first on the back porch and a cloth line, the dryer is mainly for finishing or emergencies and in snow days like this to dry kid's clothes.

I am not green, just the way I was brought up. Besides I think it is stupid to pay for drying when it can be free.

Western: my line of action exactly, I will see what I can find.

/ Electrical dryer help? #5  
Prokop; I was was no longer young when introduced to electric dryers!:D:D

/ Electrical dryer help? #6  
Hard to say for sure. But, it Sounds like motor kicking out on high temp.If this is the case . It should start back up after it cools . If it continues to do this . It's either new motor or new dryer.. How old is the dryer ?

/ Electrical dryer help? #7  
Prokop,
Will the dryer run but not dry the contents? I repaired my daughter's dryer (twice) when it would run (the drum turned) but not heat. It was a thermoswitch which was located on the back of the dryer. it was a small button like item which was easy to change once the back cover was removed. You need a multimeter to check the continuity.

Norm

/ Electrical dryer help? #8  
Prokop, I think you have a good handle on the way to proceed.

...and take Mr. Murphy OFF your Christmas list. He sure hasn't done you any favors, showing up at the worst possible time.:mad:

/ Electrical dryer help?
I fixed it! And I am proud of it:) OK, this is what happened:

- I took it apart as always - the front wall off, drum out
- The thermal fuse is in front, I bypassed it and the motor run for a while and stopped.
- Next I found the thermal protection on the motor - it just could not be nothing else - and bypassed it and the motor behaved the same way. Stopped in say 20 seconds
- I started to make preparations to take the motor out to get it to the shop, when I saw this little metal screw/rod sticking out under the motor from the metal base. The motor is mounted electrically isolated from the dryer case.
- From this rod a wire connected to the mass of the motor
- The rod was somewhat loose, I tried to disconnect it. I figured if it is ground, it will not run. Well the motor run just like before, 20 seconds and stopped
- Than I realized the rod was under the tension pulley for the drum belt; it must be some kind of a broken belt fsafety device. After tightening the bolt/rod securely, the motor run without stopping just fine.

The way it works - and I apologize for lack of pictures - is when the belt brakes, the tensioning spring will drive the pulley into the rod and it will brake it off and without this connection the motor and the whole dryer will go into managed stop to avoid fire hazard. Does it make sense? I probably knocked it lose while messing with the drum and belt.

It all only confirms my theory, that safety features on any system account for 90% of all problems:)

/ Electrical dryer help? #10  
Good show!:D:D

Now the question is: When the dryer was all apart did you install a new belt???:eek: