electrical issues

/ electrical issues #1  

fpfdchief

Tractor
kioti ck20 wcab L6060 grand cab loader backhoe and Kubota L6060 grand w/autohitch
Any one having troubles with all of the unsealed relays in the unsealed metal box mounted in place of the step under the passenger side door right behind the front wheel on a L6060 cabbed tractor? Very poor design and setup in my mind, any one have thoughts???

/ electrical issues #3  
What type of electrical problem(s) are you having?

If the relays are failing due to high moisture content why not replace them with sealed ones or is there more to it?

/ electrical issues #4  
I hadn't looked in there, but assumed the only thing in there is the solenoids & valves for my 3rd function. No issues on my L4060HSTC here on that front.

/ electrical issues #5  
Any one having troubles with all of the unsealed relays in the unsealed metal box mounted in place of the step under the passenger side door right behind the front wheel on a L6060 cabbed tractor? Very poor design and setup in my mind, any one have thoughts???

My M59 also has an unsealed open-bottom box in place of a step on the right side. It sounds similar because it is exactly where a step on that "passenger" side would be - except that this box it has a decal that says "NO STEP". No worries; I've never been tempted to step on it anyway. It's kind of wiggley. And if I did, I'd then have to work my way past the loader controls and over that clumsy rocker pedal for the HST+ that Kubota insists on clinging to. Easier to walk to the normal side with the steps.

I've been curious, but I confess I haven't unbolted that cover to see if there are any electrical relays in mine. From the outside It just looks to be covering some hydraulic valves and hoses. Sure not the kind of place I would expect to find unsealed relay boxes....but one never knows...

BTW, I mentally think of the opposing sides of the tractor as the "onside" and the "offside". It's like riding a horse. Normally everyone gets on a horse or a tractor from the same side: the "onside.
I guess you could get on from the other side but it's rarely done. In this case the word "off" is used in its archaic sense where "off" means "other".
So there is the "onside" and the "otherside".

Now I admit that using "onside and offside" might not make perfect logical sense, but then neither does "passenger" side.....

rScotty

/ electrical issues #6  
I have a 5460 basically the same tractor as 6060. I have taken that cover off to reroute wires that control the third function. The dealer routed the wires under the tractor and I removed the cover, disconnected the wires, and routed them over the fuel tank. I don’t think there is anything to worry about. There are plenty of relays under the hood of the tractor which are just as exposed to moisture and dust.

/ electrical issues #7  
I have a 5460 basically the same tractor as 6060. I have taken that cover off to reroute wires that control the third function. The dealer routed the wires under the tractor and I removed the cover, disconnected the wires, and routed them over the fuel tank. I don’t think there is anything to worry about. There are plenty of relays under the hood of the tractor which are just as exposed to moisture and dust.

Are they sealed relays?

/ electrical issues
no they are not sealed nor is the connector so it to is exposed. now picture a wet snowy morning and all the slush and slop associated with it. Out to plow and the front wheel as it rotates throws the slush and salt infused slop right in that hole for the hoses.
and we all know or should know that once the green crud starts growing it will never stop no matter how much you clean and spray. on the spade terminals then up the wire behind the insulation .

/ electrical issues #9  
no they are not sealed nor is the connector so it to is exposed. now picture a wet snowy morning and all the slush and slop associated with it. Out to plow and the front wheel as it rotates throws the slush and salt infused slop right in that hole for the hoses.
and we all know or should know that once the green crud starts growing it will never stop no matter how much you clean and spray. on the spade terminals then up the wire behind the insulation .

It's surprising to me how many small improvements that Kubota ignores.
I've made half a dozen little changes, and guessing that is average.
Most are easy to be fixed - like moving the brake warning light to where it can be seen - but definitely need to be changed for anyone planning to keep their tractor and use it in all weather.

Maybe we ought to make a list of simple effective changes to benefit Kubota owners.
I keep expecting Kubota to do so, but for whatever reason they don't do it so I guess we'll have to.

Do you think it is better to seal the relays or to move them? Or seal the box? Hmmm.... should we spray one relay and take it apart just to confirm that there is a problem?

I can understand Kubota not willing to change something. What I can't understand is why they don't actively pursue outside ideas,

rScotty