Electrical Problems on a S-373D

/ Electrical Problems on a S-373D #1  

JoeKan

Tractor
S-373D Satoh/Mitsu
Greetings,

Today my wife was using our S-373D Beaver to spread some gravel. She would load up the bucket, drive & dump, then turn the motor off while she spread the gravel for a while, maybe 10 minutes each time by her estimate. She figured it was a waste of fuel to let the tractor idle for no reason for that length of time.

She did this several times without a problem. The next time she went to start the tractor up, she said she heard a very faint 'pop' or a 'click', and the motor would not turn over. SHe tried the glow plugs, but the glow plug light did not get bright. She checked the electricity and the headlights would turn on. The 2 ignition lights (ignition & oil) dash lights turn on when she turned the key, but there is no response from the starter.

She phoned me at work. Thinking it was the fuse, I had her buy a new fuse and replace the old one, but it was not the fuse.

I got home after dark today, so I could not have a look at the tractor as it is sitting in the middle of a field. I'll come home early tomorow and have a look at it.

Any suggestions of what could be the problem? Any ideas what I should use for testing (besides a volt/ohm meter)?

/ Electrical Problems on a S-373D #2  
I would check the ground connection on the tractor side..if it is anything like my 372 it will corrode enough that it will not start the tractor but light the oil and alt lt.

/ Electrical Problems on a S-373D #3  
Check both the Battery cables on the Battery. If one is loose, it could "arc" and let just enough juice through to run the little stuff, but not the ignitors, or starter.

/ Electrical Problems on a S-373D
Thanks for the suggestions. I got home today while it was light and managed to have a look at it.

All electrical connections are solid and the battery is fully charged. I just could not find the ground connection. "Tractor side" - is that on the exhaust manifold side or the intake manifold side? Close to the dash or on the firewall? Is it attached to the frame? It was lightly raining, so I wasn't too keen at burrowing myself into the wet, decomposing bark mulch yet (supposed to be sunny on the weekend...).

<<DUH!!!>> Just had a look at the wiring diagram in the owners' manual - the ground cable is directly off the negative on the battery.

Here are the clues I found:

When the ignition key is turned to the "ON" position, the IGNITION and the OIL light go on bright (fully charged battery). At this point I can turn on the headlights too.

When the clutch is depressed (starter safety switch activated) , and the key turned to "start" position, both dash lights go off. Not a sound from the starter or engine & no electrical noises whatever - ie relays activating (I drive a diesel car, bear with me here...)

If the clutch is NOT depressed (starter safety switch not activated) and the key turned to "start", both dash lights dim slightly.

With the clutch is either position (starter safety switch activated or not), the glow plug light will not light up.

I'll check the ground tomorow, but I doubt that is the problem, as I've never had a problem with it before (but...there's always the first time). Tractor is always stored in a dry enviroment.

The fuse is in 1 piece & charge light goes on, so I think the regulator is OK.
If it was the glow light bulb, the tractor would still turn over even with the engine cold.
Could be the "safety starter switch", although the glow plug light SHOULD still light.

Any suggestions are welcome.

/ Electrical Problems on a S-373D #5  
The ground cable from the battery is attached under the instrument panel below the steering column. Even if the connections look good it would be worthwhile to remove and clean up if you haven't done it already.

/ Electrical Problems on a S-373D #6  
Sounds like you are getting a good connection, I would get a test light or volt meter and attach it to the starter solonoid so see if you are getting voltage to the start side of the solonoid, if not then it is probably a saftey switch not closed.
If it is then the starter will need to be checked more closely or possibly rebuilt.

/ Electrical Problems on a S-373D
Found the problem. The battery. Buddy of mine swore "up and down" that it had to be the battery.

He drove over while I was at work & pulled the battery. He checked the fluid levels and found that they were down to the plates and the plates were starting to sulfate. He topped up the cells and then put the battery on a charger. After 24 hours, we checked the electrolite levels with a hydrometer. 2 cells read FAIR, and 4 remailing cells read LOW. Then we had a look at the date on the battery - 1997.

I dropped it back into the tractor and attempted a start. I just got a lot of 'clicking'. This told me that the starting electricals were fine and the problem was the battery.

The darn battery lasted 9 years. I'm assuming that it was putting out 12V, but because my wife ran it way down, hardly any amperage to turn over the motor.

Bought a new battery and the tractor started up fine. Thanks to everyone for troubleshooting help.