Spreader Electrical question re: the spreader controller

/ Electrical question re: the spreader controller #1  

Desert Bred

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 CKC TS 254 (Fei Dong 295T1)
I picked up a Turf Ex 1875 spreader from an auction. The unit is a fully 12v unit that can be mounted on trucks atv's tractors etc. There are separate motors for the hopper auger, spinner, and vibrator.
There is a wiring harness or something that i forgot the name for that ties in all those motors to 6 male pins and the 'Controller' plugs into that.

The controller costs 400$ plus..

It consists of:
a) main power on/off switch,
b) switch for the vibrator (on/off)
c) potentiometer for the auger
d) potentiometer for the spinner

I can wire the switches in at least but i'm having doubts about what size potentiometer i could use for this setup, knowing the minimal but that it is a 12v system and should be fused by a 60amp fuse.

Any ideas what potentiometer I could use for this?

/ Electrical question re: the spreader controller #2  
I'd skip the potentiometers and go with DC speed controllers. They are not expensive (probably cheaper than the high wattage pot that you'd need), much more efficient than a pot, and will doubtless last longer too. Here's an example (go to amazon or ebay and search DC motor speed controller). Amazon.com: DROK PWM 12V-40V DC Electric Pump/Motor Speed Controller Stepless 10% -100% 10A: Electronics

You can get higher wattage ones too, just make sure they are rated as high or higher than your motors.

bumper

/ Electrical question re: the spreader controller
thanks for pointing me in that direction.
I found that the motor for auger And the motor for spinner are just under 30A which means I would need a 60a as they both would be running at the same time.
I've been looking for a 30A dc motor speed controller they are definitely cheaper coming from China. :thumbsup:

ended up getting two of these:

10 50V 40A DC Motor Speed Control PWM HHO RC Controller 12V 24V 48V 2000W Max | eBay