ELECTRICAN GURUS:

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS: #11  
One other issue. If you go from current panel to barn everything goes through current meter. If you run a new line from the transformer you need another meter and at least out here, means another monthly meter charge and minimum usage charge. Looking at those charges over time, you can afford to step up the size of wire from the current box.

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS: #12  
sorry - I must not have made my situation clear.
my meter has a main breaker under it (between it and my house panel) and under that breaker are 3 sets of connections for running 3 separate main feeders, so I can run power to main panels in 3 different buildings from the pole off that one meter.

also - I used 2" PVC to run the 2/0 aluminum thhn insulated cable that my electric company both recommended and sold to me "at cost" (which was significantly less expensive than buying the same cable from Lowe's) and they threw in an extra 25' for waste at both ends free of charge.

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS: #13  
You will end up with a large aluminum feed wire. 100 amps at that distance = big fat wire - They don't like 5% voltage drop, and some feel 3% on feed wires - local code might dictate this, as mentioned National will dictate size not to overheat, only suggests voltage drop issues. Less voltage drop means happier electric motors, less light flicker, etc.

Direct burial, unless local codes prohibit it. I believe you will end up with 4-conductor, tho there is some provisions for doing 3-conductor but I don't think that works for house to house.

Had my farm rewired, some runs were 400+ feet, wired for 200 amps. The aluminum was as thick as my thumb..... Copper wasn't even considered.

--->Paul

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS: #14  
Onthesauk said:
One other issue. If you go from current panel to barn everything goes through current meter. If you run a new line from the transformer you need another meter and at least out here, means another monthly meter charge and minimum usage charge. Looking at those charges over time, you can afford to step up the size of wire from the current box.

Fortunately for me, running another meter panel on my shop will only run me $9.00 a month base before usage. For me, a great investment.

The only bad side is my wife can see how much electricity I'm using out there.......

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS: #15  
Aluminum wire v copper for the same amp carrying ability is larger and harder to work with. If your going to pull the wire through conduit, you better get 2" at least. Also if your doing it yourself, pull the wire as you go instead of trying to pull it all at once. You can get some wire lube to help.

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS:
Today, I priced a 500' roll of 1/0 copper at Home Depot. $1172....= $2.34/ft. Yikes!! They claimed the price has gone down recently??!

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS: #17  
machmeter62 said:
Today, I priced a 500' roll of 1/0 copper at Home Depot. $1172....= $2.34/ft. Yikes!! They claimed the price has gone down recently??!
Well, it's just like gas or diesel.
Now we're all happy when it goes "down" to $3.50 a gallon.:) Shees.

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS: #18  
LBrown59 said:
There are no codes here.
Just the way i like it.

I'll bet your home owner's insurance company will disagree with you come time to replace your home after a fire due to electical problems that were caused by faulty wiring done by you. ;)

Better check on that.

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS: #19  
We do 100amp subfeed runs all the time at work. If you check with your local electrical supply house,not a box store they can supply you with everything you need . A 300ft run with the right size triplex or cable in conduit is not that unusual. If you anticipate a large draw at once you could consider a step up /step down transformer from square D. We have run 100 amp services 1800 ft with such a setup.

Macdabs

/ ELECTRICAN GURUS:
MossRoad said:
I'll bet your home owner's insurance company will disagree with you come time to replace your home after a fire due to electical problems that were caused by faulty wiring done by you. ;)

Better check on that.

Thanx for your thoughts; the wires will be circuit protected (CB's)on both ends to avoid any "melt downs!"