Elementary Light Wiring

/ Elementary Light Wiring #11  
The wiring in the picture is correct for that situation. But I usually would use the red between lights (less confusing for the novice). But even less confusing would be to put the power into the left light and run to the right two switches. This would also eliminate the need for 3 wire cable.
in the wiring with 2 wire in all boxes, the white (marking it with a wrap of black tape) would be used to carry the power to the switch and the black would be used for the switch to light conductor.

/ Elementary Light Wiring #12  
I think this is what you are trying to do.

View attachment 363351

But I think it's easier to just run wires parallel like dave1949 states

View attachment 363352

Apparently "Code" now requires running "hot" ( BLACK!!) thru the switch FIRST then coming back using 3 wire.
New-3LightsWithSwitchAtTheEnd.jpg

From the power source (near fixture #1 I presume), run a switch loop to the switch. By the way, the NEC now requires switch loops to be 14/3, so there is a neutral at the switch. So the power flow is as follows: Hot from source, to black on switch loop wire, through switch, back to souce box on red wire of switch loop, then to the string of lights.

If you want to run 14/3 between the fixtures as buzz suggested, use the black conductors to pass power down the string to the last fixture, then make a switch loop to the switch. Upon returning to the last fixture from the switch loop, power the string of fixtures on the red conductors.

Read more: Need Diagram: supply power to multiple lights with switch at the end of circuit - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Is this going to be an insured building?

/ Elementary Light Wiring #13  
Just keep hooking the new lights to the old lights. If you draw out what I said, you will see the power will come into the light box and immediately go down the white to the switch, and back on the black to the light. It gets trickier when you want to add another switch.

Easiest way doing it like Rick says. Usually you only need 14/3 when you have another switch for the same light circuit. Like in a hallway, stairs ect tra

/ Elementary Light Wiring #14  
I am not an electrician. I do have an annotated electrical code book from when I built my house 18 years ago. Code has been rewritten many times since my book was written. Code says your switch breaks the black hot leg. This is so you are not working on a light fixture that you think has dead hot leg and you get zapped. You can get zapped by a hot leg to the ground in the Romex or the ground of your body to earth. Always break/switch the hot leg.

When you use the white conductor of your Romex as part of the switch, you make it a black conductor. You are supposed to either paint both ends of that white wire black or wrap both ends with quality black tape to signify that it is now a black hot conductor. It appears that the recolored wire is supposed to supply the switch and the power from the switch goes up to the fixture. rmorey mentions this but did not make it a big point. See this discussion from some electrical pros about wires. Note that my Avast antivirus went off when I clicked that link saying that it blocked a virus from the site I mention. Romex to a switch, white wire only supply? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum If you opened a breaker panel on a 3 phase circuit you will see 4 conductors with 4 different colors of tape. Electricians buy their big gauge wire in one color, black. They have to mark the three phases properly and the neutral with the appropriate tape. There is another discussion that you cannot remark wire less than 4 gauge except for switches but that is a discussion for industrial and commercial electricians, not a homeowner adding a light fixture.