Elongated Holes

/ Elongated Holes #21  
In theory, the eye swivel relieves off axis force, and the rotation occurs around the bolt, as it has the smaller diameter and lowest friction, all other things being equal. So, unless your cylinder ends are always perfectly aligned through the whole stroke, you want both. Since PTs swivel about the center pivot, there are almost always off axis forces on the steering cylinders, so you want both to move.

You can do away with the eye swivel any time the cylinder ends and their bolts travel in a plane. Many FELs have cylinders with only one swivel or no swivels. Having swivels reduces the stresses on cylinders and their seals, so having them isn't bad.

I just wish the steering cylinders had grease zerks...

All the best,

Peter

/ Elongated Holes #22  
That joint is made to rotate on the ball not on the bolt but it will if the bolt isn't tight.... Large equipment uses the same joint only greasable with zerk firings. The ball is made to rotate and has side movement at the same time, if you failed to grease them and the ones in the arms you created the premature wear and ultimate failure. These machines are built with mild steel and force of the steering jacks on those frail ears and loose bolts is problem and add lack of grease equals failure..... Now if they would have used a shouldered bolt where you could tightened it, or a sleeve over the bolt to tighten against it may have lasted longer and it could have rotated around it but it would have increased the cost to be able to grease it.... jim

/ Elongated Holes #23  
IMHO as far as the grease goes, the Super Lube is a 21st century synthetic product, advanced in technology. I think it is fine, but as Mossroad said, we just needed to use more of it. I believe it comes out of the can a mixture of propellent and lube and the propellent evaporates off after it penetrants into the joint. Since I seen the volume I thought it was sufficient. Didn't take into account it was diluted.

/ Elongated Holes #24  
IMHO as far as the grease goes, the Super Lube is a 21st century synthetic product, advanced in technology. I think it is fine, but as Mossroad said, we just needed to use more of it. I believe it comes out of the can a mixture of propellent and lube and the propellent evaporates off after it penetrants into the joint. Since I seen the volume I thought it was sufficient. Didn't take into account it was diluted.

I've used it for many years and a good as or better is Fluid Film and it works great too. Now how do grease the bolt it is to turn on?? You stick a bolt in a drilled hole you have play and it will beat itself apart, especially if you add grease to it. Tighten the bolt and pivot on the greased ball and wear it out and replace it.....jim

/ Elongated Holes #25  
I'd judge that its not so much a grease problem but an overload problem. High tierod loads crushed the swivel and the dance begins. If that's your rig, loader weight, turn angle, tire pressure, and the dual tires on each hub puts loads on the tierods that exceed the design specification forces. Sure, dribble some grease in there, but the metal went into plastic deformation and No Joy.

/ Elongated Holes #26  
Look at the ball joint on the FEL arms where it attaches to the machine. I think there's a tube in that one that the bolt slides through, but can't recall exactly, and i'm not going outside anymore tonight. :)

/ Elongated Holes #27  
Where can you get super lube?? I have looked at Walmart, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Advance Auto, NAPA and I have never been able to find it.

/ Elongated Holes #28  
Where can you get super lube?? I have looked at Walmart, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Advance Auto, NAPA and I have never been able to find it.

There is a place on the internet called ebay. Find that and set up an account, you can buy just about anything on it. I posted the part number of Super Lube 31110, do a search and pick which price you want to pay.

/ Elongated Holes #29  
Thanks. I buy a lot on ebay, but I never thought of looking for super lube there

/ Elongated Holes #30  

Try Ace Hardware if you have a local store. Give the a call.