Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold

/ Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold #1  

Mattt2778

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra Emax25 hst
Hey guys,

I'm new to diesels and tractors as well and I'm wondering if my starting issues are normal. I have an emax 25 that generally runs great but I've noticed on these forty degree mornings we've been having recently that the tractor struggles to start even after a full cycle of the glow plugs. Also it belches out a ton of smoke and takes about 30 seconds to fully clear up. Is this normal? Do I have an issue with the glow plugs not lighting? Is there a relay that I can check the voltage or can I ground a voltmeter lead and touch the other to the plug? The tractor is under warranty but if it's something I can deal with myself I'd rather not spend the money on hauling the machine.

Thanks,
Matt

/ Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold #2  
You can manually activate the glow plugs by turning the key to the left on colder days to let it warm up more than the auto version. The white smoke is normal from the pre warmer

/ Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold #3  
Hey guys,

I'm new to diesels and tractors as well and I'm wondering if my starting issues are normal. I have an emax 25 that generally runs great but I've noticed on these forty degree mornings we've been having recently that the tractor struggles to start even after a full cycle of the glow plugs. Also it belches out a ton of smoke and takes about 30 seconds to fully clear up. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,
Was there anything wrong with your Emax? My Emax22 does the same thing. I've tried running it through 2 cycles of glow plugs (if you turn it to the right, wait for the plug light to go out, then tuning it to the left and then back to the right the plug light will come back on). I tried 2 cycles this morning (37 degrees). It seemed slightly better. I will try 3 or 4 cycles to see if it is better.
Barry

/ Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold
Nothing wrong with my emax that I know of. I've just kind of assumed that it's a it cold blooded. When it's cold I double cycle the glow plugs and she may cough and spit for 20 or 30 seconds but she always fires.

/ Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold #5  
   / Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold #6  
As the weather gets colder you may also want to consider an additive to the diesel fuel to reduce the possibility of 'gelling'. It's more for temps down in the 30's and below, but may be helpful for starting in the cooler weather you've got now. I use Amazon.com: Power Service 18-6 +Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Supplement Anti-Freezer - 8 oz.: Automotive . Might be other brands, but this one I've found to be readily available locally and it does what it says.

Also my thought, well put Mark . Higher cetane boost will definitely Help :eek:

/ Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold #7  
Fuel start/stop solenoid out of adjustment?

/ Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold #8  
On my Emax anything colder than 32F I usually cycle my glow plugs 4 times, after having the same issues as you with just the auto cycle.
This year I have changed to Rotella T6 10-30, added a silicone oil pan heater and a battery heater, Ill post my findings once it gets cool enough to test out, its already sitting around 35-40F at night, so should know soon.

/ Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold #9  
Nothing wrong with my emax that I know of. I've just kind of assumed that it's a it cold blooded. When it's cold I double cycle the glow plugs and she may cough and spit for 20 or 30 seconds but she always fires.

Matt,
I read that Mahindra spent $30 million redesigning their diesel engines to meet tier 4 emissions. Other tractor makers added diesel particulate filters to their engines. Mahindra is proud of their new design that burns cleaner. I wonder if this is why the new engines are so cold blooded? My Emax22G sure huffs and puffs when it starts. I took my volt meter and tested the resistance on the 3 glow plugs and they are working fine. Must be the new design. I hope we don't have trouble down the road with the new design. I usually prefer something that is 50 years old and tried and true.
Barry

/ Emax 25 hst hard to start when cold
Matt,
I read that Mahindra spent $30 million redesigning their diesel engines to meet tier 4 emissions. Other tractor makers added diesel particulate filters to their engines. Mahindra is proud of their new design that burns cleaner. I wonder if this is why the new engines are so cold blooded? My Emax22G sure huffs and puffs when it starts. I took my volt meter and tested the resistance on the 3 glow plugs and they are working fine. Must be the new design. I hope we don't have trouble down the road with the new design. I usually prefer something that is 50 years old and tried and true.
Barry
Pretty sure that the tier 4 stuff doesn't really effect tractors under 26hp. I think that's why the max28 is now the max 26 and the 3016 was replaced by the 1526.