Backhoe Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe

/ Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe #11  
I have a spare bucket that I torched off the shanks and bolted on an edge (like on a FEL bucket). I works well. I'm sure you could take it one step further and have a tooth bar made up, like you would for the front bucket so each time you wanted a straight endge you could remove it and bolt on the flat edge. Probably the quckest and cheapest would be just like you said. Buy an extra tooth and weld some steel onto it (with it in the center position) and let the steel just hit against the outside teeth.

/ Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe #12  
BobRip....

Thanks for the sketch. It is very helpful. Sorry to cause you so much effort.

No problem at all. It's good to exercise the old grey matter once in a while.;)

Did you actually drill holes in the bucket? Did this cause any dirt leakage or digging problems.

Yes, I drilled two 1/2" holes in the bucket. There were no problems with leakage or digging.

Harry c and crazyal have a good idea if you have bolt-on teeth (I didn't). Just weld the blade to a tooth or teeth and bolt onto the bucket as required. If I were doing that, I think I would weld to just the centre tooth to avoid alignment difficulties when installing.

/ Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe #13  
herringchoker said:
BobRip....

Harry c and crazyal have a good idea if you have bolt-on teeth (I didn't). Just weld the blade to a tooth or teeth and bolt onto the bucket as required. If I were doing that, I think I would weld to just the centre tooth to avoid alignment difficulties when installing.
If you have bolt on teeth you just take them off. No need to add anything as you have a straight cutting edge when the teeth are off.

/ Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe #14  
I dont know if you could ,but a 5 by 9 trailer aint that big...could you get out what you could without hurting the trailer,and then wrap your safety chains to the hoe and lift the front up and dump what remains?
ALAN

/ Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe
escavader said:
I dont know if you could ,but a 5 by 9 trailer aint that big...could you get out what you could without hurting the trailer,and then wrap your safety chains to the hoe and lift the front up and dump what remains?
ALAN
For some projects your suggestion would be great. Particularly projects where the contents of the trailer is required a ground level. I keep this in mind.

But for this project the time/effort required to unhithch the trailer, lift it with the tractor to dump the remaining contents on the ground then still have to back-hoe it onto the berm (as well as rehitching the trailer, etc.) is more work than hand shoveling the remaining contents of the trailer (roughly a 1/2 CuYd) onto the berm :)

FWIW my question in the OP is aimed at a future project where I will be moving several more trailer loads of soil up onto the same berm. The idea was/is to place the contents of the trailer several feet above the level of the trailer without "making a mess" on the ground beside the berm and/or tearing up my trailer.

Thanks for the suggestion - Talon Dancer

Last edited:
   / Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe #16  
TalonDancer said:
Any tips on how to use the BH90 to finish the job?

Yes. Instead of pulling dirt out of the trailer with the backhoe, use the backhoe to lift the trailer up by its tounge then give it a good shake ;).

JayC

/ Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe #17  
Hey Herringchoker,thats quite the "rough sketch" you did there.Completely
understandable.The engineers and draftsmen where i work dont even do that good,seriously.Very good.......digger2

/ Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe #18  
Harry c said:
If you have bolt on teeth you just take them off. No need to add anything as you have a straight cutting edge when the teeth are off.

Well, of course. Sometimes I can't see for looking.:eek:

/ Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe #19  
digger2 said:
Hey Herringchoker,thats quite the "rough sketch" you did there.Completely
understandable.The engineers and draftsmen where i work dont even do that good,seriously.Very good.......digger2

Well, thanks. I'll try not to let that go to my head.:D

/ Emptying a trailer w/ a backhoe #20  
This problem has been discussed before. One of the previous low tech suggestions was to lay a piece of carpet on the trailer, load the trailer, and then pull the carpet out. Seems like it ought to work if you lay a chain down first, put the carpet over the chain, then the dirt, and roll the edge of the carpet over the dirt with the end of the chain looped over the top. Then connect both ends of the chain together and pull it out?

Anybody tried it yet?