End of ethanol?

/ End of ethanol? #11  
I just say this article. Nothing is done till I see it done but could be hope! Tea Party pushing hard against renewal of subsidy!
In June, the US Senate voted in favor of a deal to end a 45-cent-per-gallon subsidy for the ethanol industry, as well as a 54-cent-per-gallon ethanol tariff. Originally decried by Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack as a move that would cost American jobs, lead to less choice for consumers, and further dependence on foreign oil sources, the proposal is seen as progress by those who fear that using crops for fuel can destabilize the food and feed markets and lead to higher food prices. Additionally, with US ethanol production and profits reaching record levels, it is being suggested by many that the industry no longer needs support by a government program that costs the American taxpayers US$6 billion per year. With the ongoing heated debate about how to reduce the country’s deficit and slash the budget, the era of ethanol subsidies in the US is nearing the end.

/ End of ethanol? #12  
'Farmers' aren't the problem - they have little political clout. Corporate farms & agri-processors (principally ADM & Cargill) have bought off congress to force energy-subtracting ethanol into vehicles with taxpayer subsidies.

THAT is why it will never end. We have the best government that money can buy-off. The Bannana Republic of America. :thumbsdown:

/ End of ethanol?
'Farmers' aren't the problem - they have little political clout. Corporate farms & agri-processors (principally ADM & Cargill) have bought off congress to force energy-subtracting ethanol into vehicles with taxpayer subsidies.

THAT is why it will never end. We have the best government that money can buy-off. The Bannana Republic of America. :thumbsdown:

This is how anything puzzling that continues in its lack of logic can be explained.....follow the green (and I don't mean cornstalks.)

/ End of ethanol? #14  
Part of the problem with Ethanol is that the emissions from the plant that makes it are worse than the emission from the cars if they used regular fuel instead. Gov. Created Pollution. Personally, I would like to see it go.

/ End of ethanol? #15  
Wouldn't it be wonderful it that story was true!.. fat chance without a major change in administration, and even then, very unlikely. E85 may go, and E15 may or may not happen, but as pointed out, there is going to be some pain in getting out of this mess.

/ End of ethanol? #16  
The Farmers will never let that happen. Too much money in it. I have heard talk of uping It.
You must think farmers have a lot of pull. That is so far from the truth. Farmers mostly just have to go along with what the fat cats propose and try to figure some way to make the laws work so that they don't lose money. Sometimes the farmer gets a small benefit from govt. legislation, but it is the guys at the top of the trade cycle that make the big bucks.
I don't know if any one knows of the boondoggle that the ethanol companies were getting by with when the first got into ethanol production. Large government subsidies to make the stuff which was costing more than it was selling for on the open market but with the subsidies they made a killing but then found that they could export it and make a bigger killing so they were selling it to European markets after USA paid them 50% of the cost. The law was finally amended I believe to close that loophole but it cost taxpayers millions prior to that happening. Farmers got no part of that, maybe a small subsidy to grow the corn which is price controlled by the government just like all farm produce at the field level. Large Farmers may make thousands in subsidies paid by the government to grow a certain crop which is the incentive that is needed for them to grow what is needed by the top tier users, but it is those top tier users that make millions out of the deal, that and the crooked politician that line their pockets with graft from the lobbyist. If these guys were operating anywhere besides in Washington D.C. they would be thrown in jail for bribery.

/ End of ethanol? #17  
Corn was at a all time high last year. See this thread about real farmers 2012 Farm Census released

Most farms are small type farms. I got to see the total Farm subsidies that was spread around my area and it was some large money going around but not just for ethanol I'm sure.

/ End of ethanol? #18  
There are other things besides corn that can be used to make ethanol. Kudzu is a big problem around here, someone had talked about making ethanol with it or even switchgrass.

/ End of ethanol? #19  
There are other things besides corn that can be used to make ethanol. Kudzu is a big problem around here, someone had talked about making ethanol with it or even switchgrass.

I heard of the grass to be used but not much anymore.

/ End of ethanol? #20  
I heard of the grass to be used but not much anymore.

You are right all that talk seems to have stopped. There was even talk of using old soft drinks and candy bars that could not be sold due to damage or age.