engine blow by

/ engine blow by #1  

firebird93

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota bx2350hst Kubota b2400hst Mahindra 3550hst
i have been looking into an older b series tractor (a b2100 and 2400) and have found 2 that i am interested in.
one has 1100 hrs the other less then 500 but both have what i call blow by when they are idling.
they have a tube that goes from the valve cover down to the bottom of the engine and this is where
it comes out. i have a newer bx and thought i would look at it but it doesn't have that particular tube.
it has a tube going into the intake. normally i associate blow by with wear but at the hours on these 2 machines
that shouldn't be an issue. my question is: is this normal for these older b series tractors??

/ engine blow by #2  
I've seen brand new engines wiped out w/ 10-20 hrs on them.. & just huff'n oil outa the tube..
. DONT base the blow-by on the low hours.. {"that shouldn't be an issue"}..
Pull the air cleaner & tap the filter on the ground & watch for the dust..
Take your hand & wipe it in the air cleaner hsg..
Pull the dipstick & oil fill cap while its running.. if its "puffing smoke" outa those 3 places.. I'd walk away.

/ engine blow by #3  
If its got puke tube, basicly a valve cover vent i would expect it to puff a bit. Theres massive amounts of air and pressure/vacuum movement in an engine.

Newer engines dont have this for emissions, or it could dump back into the intake.