Engine dead

/ Engine dead #1  

Davenj4f

Tractor
Kubota BX-25D
I'm sorta new here, been reading threads for a year or so. Finally have a problem of my own, not sure where to start.
I have a 2016 BX-25D, sticker on motor says BX23. 565.3 hours. About a year and a half ago, I got the organisms in the fuel because I didn't know to keep the tank topped off. Multiple filter changes, blowing out the fuel line, and some fuelright(.com) helped.
Anyway, today, I started the motor to do some work, suddenly white smoke exited the muffler, and the engine died. Got it home, looked at the motor, didn't know where to start. Never worked on diesels before. White smoke tells me water. Spraying starting fluid in air filter box makes it almost start.
Been fiddling with motors all my life. If I know what the problem is, I can fix it. Just need some suggestions on how to determine that.

/ Engine dead #2  
Welcome to TBN. I'm not a mechanic. However, I also worked on a lot of engines. From you description, first I would want to make sure the fuel in the tank is clean and with clean fuel. Then, shut off the fuel line and check the water separator element to make sure it is clean. Check your manual. Then you probably should bleed the fuel system. That should be described in the manual also. There probably is a procedure for that in the manual. That is the info from my L4701 manual. I was thinking that because if it is fuel contamination, better be sure the fuel system has clean fuel to burn. Don't know if that helps. But some of the guys here can tell you anything you need to know. They are good and you came to the right place. Best wishes, Larry

/ Engine dead #3  
Bleed the fuel lines?

/ Engine dead #4  
Mate, put an inspection camera down into your tank and have a really good look around.

If you've had a biological growth in there before, I suspect it's back again.

It'll look like phlegm mixed with fairy floss (cotton candy)... [depending on where in the world you're from]

White smoke, as you've observed, means water and that's what the biological growth requires to breed/spread.

If you're from Aus, "Fuel Doctors" is the cure (it was for me). If not, a LOT of biological fuel biocides + fuel filters cycles will be required.

/ Engine dead #5  
It is my understanding you are supposed to avoid spraying starter fluid into a diesel engine. Diesel engines fire on compression and can fire too early on starter fluid potentially ruining the engine.

/ Engine dead #6  
I'm sorta new here, been reading threads for a year or so. Finally have a problem of my own, not sure where to start.
I have a 2016 BX-25D, sticker on motor says BX23. 565.3 hours. About a year and a half ago, I got the organisms in the fuel because I didn't know to keep the tank topped off. Multiple filter changes, blowing out the fuel line, and some fuelright(.com) helped.
Anyway, today, I started the motor to do some work, suddenly white smoke exited the muffler, and the engine died. Got it home, looked at the motor, didn't know where to start. Never worked on diesels before. White smoke tells me water. Spraying starting fluid in air filter box makes it almost start.
Been fiddling with motors all my life. If I know what the problem is, I can fix it. Just need some suggestions on how to determine that.

Whats your coolant look like?

/ Engine dead #7  
It is my understanding you are supposed to avoid spraying starter fluid into a diesel engine. Diesel engines fire on compression and can fire too early on starter fluid potentially ruining the engine.
Diesel engines if it has glow plugs is a big no no.

/ Engine dead #8  
+1.Uusing starting fluid incorrectly is a good way to break the rings and lands on the piston. If your tractor has a manifold air heater in it that's activated by the key switch you can even do more damage.

/ Engine dead #9  
White smoke is air in fuel. Gray is when water enters the fuel system. If its gray, head gasket or head. Has it been hot prior to this.

/ Engine dead #10  
The biggest issue is that using starting fluid on an engine without glow plugs or thermostart can cause the fluid to ignite prior to the end of the compression stroke. Often this will cause the rings and lands on the piston to bust off. Diesels can be equipped with a ether start system that is sized to the engine and will spray a metered amount in to help it start. DO NOT SPRAY ETHER by hand to start a diesel. Unless you like to rebuild them. I have seen freshly rebuilt engines be destroyed by farmers who used ether and I promptly declined their warranty claim.