engine heater

/ engine heater #1  

jb112454

Silver Member
Tractor
2001 Kioti DK35
how cold does it need to be before you need to use a engine heater for a diesel engine?

JB

/ engine heater #2  
Good question. I've seen everything from 40 deg F to 0 deg F.

Let's hope someone who knows whereof he or she speaks shows up and helps us out. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bob

TBN_sig.gif

Bob Trevithick

/ engine heater #3  
my mack likes to be plugged in at anything under 40 F

James "woody" Mills

/ engine heater #4  
JB
My manual for <font color=orange>Kubota</font color=orange> 2910, recommends using heater for temperatures below 5 degrees F.

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ engine heater #5  
I heard my heater start working about 30 degrees.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ engine heater #6  
Would it be safe to say that, when in doubt, it can't do any harm to turn on the heaters for an hour or two prior to startup? (Except maybe to one's power bill?)

TBN_sig.gif

Bob Trevithick

/ engine heater #7  
Every little bit helps...anything to help extend the life of the tractor.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ engine heater #8  
My experience with diesel engines and block heaters is with owning several Dodges with Cummins engines. The manuals specify that it is ok from 40 degrees and down, but not neccessary until much colder. Even at 40 degrees, the engine starts easier and runs quieter when plugged in. This leads me to think that it is much less wear and tear on the engine than cold starting, adding to the longevity of the engine. Another benefit of the block heater is that the pre-warmed engine delivers about 2mpg better on my morning commute to work.

I think that what I have experienced would apply to all diesel engines and probably gas too.

To help with increased electrical use, either use a timer or plug it in manually several hours prior to use.

As an avid snowmobiler who also camps at the snowparks, I haven't heard much worse sounding than starting a cold Cummins that has sat for several days at 0 degrees.

18-82877-avatar.jpg

/ engine heater #9  
Miklos:
Right on for advice.
At -25C those cummins feel and sound like they might fly apart when they first catch.
Egon

/ engine heater
thanks for all the input. i too should have read my cummins manual. i think i'll get a heater for this winter for my kioti and plug it in the night before i want to use it.

JB