Oil & Fuel engine oil heaters

/ engine oil heaters #11  
I don't trust road diesel to be properly treated against jelling due to low temps. I did once before, and only just once. (Called Hess station who gave me number for upstate fuel distributor who assured me their fuel was treated. I made it 20 feet out of the barn...)
Since then I add "the white bottle" Power Serve diesel treatment in the winter.
Cheap insurance, you don't want to mess with jelled fuel and filters.

/ engine oil heaters #12  
I cut my diesel fuel with 20% kerosene when it is below freezing. Never had a problem when I add kerosene. My old Cub Cadet the fuel filter would gel up and the tractor would stop dead. My 2nd tractor a NH Boomer 35 I never had a problem as long as I added the kero. Now with my brand new NH Boomer 37 Cab I am using it during this cold spell. Give it a try. I do also have a block (freeze plug) heater that I use when it's in the 20's or below.

/ engine oil heaters #13  
The dipstick heater was designed by a.............. dipstick.
Install and use a coolant heater . Either an immersion in block type or an external tank type . Look around , there should be a 120V male plug along side the engine for a block heater.
If the tractor was ordered without a block heater in NY. The tractor order sheet was sadly blotched .
The heating advice using heaters, blowers , torches etc is best ignored for your safety and avoiding fire insurance claims . Jackleg mechanic farmer fixes are just that.
Use winter diesel in the winter or the fuel filters will gell up with wax.

/ engine oil heaters #14  
Hi Jimbo8264,

So what did you end up doing/going with your cold TZ25DA?

Did you heave that dipstick heater as far as you could?

BarnieTrk

By the way -- for my FORD 1720 here in mid-Michigan, it is not uncommon to see -10*F, but it's kinda unusual to see temps go much below that on a regular basis. When it's below 20*F, I am very happy using my block heater plugged in for 30 to 60 minutes before starting it. If I can anticipate running it in the afternoon or the next morning, I will operate the block heater with a timer, so it will come on an hour or so before I want to start the tractor. I also will let the hydraulics circulate & warm a bit, say 10/15 minutes before putting it to work. Lastly, I vote yes to using "the white bottle" of Power Service: Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost | Power Service

/ engine oil heaters
Well long story short...learned how to properly start the tractor. switch is four position not three.... It is Off- on- preheat -start. Never put the switch in preheat. Did it right kicked right over at 15 degrees. My Bad......

/ engine oil heaters #16  
Well long story short...learned how to properly start the tractor. switch is four position not three.... It is Off- on- preheat -start. Never put the switch in preheat. Did it right kicked right over at 15 degrees. My Bad......

I'm glad you learned and started doing what the book says to do - but, I would still suggest you go beyond the "proper" technique and install (if not equipped with one) and use a block heater for 30+ minutes when conditions are below 20*F and use a diesel fuel winter additive.

Just my :2cents:....... BarnieTrk :thumbsup:

/ engine oil heaters #17  
How does the pad work at -30 C ?
I have got just below minus 20, the heat is there, and will heat the oil, I usually only plug it in for a couple hours before starting, I would think if you wanted to drive more heat into the tank or pan, you could also attach some type of insulation to the outside surface, I would think it would drive more heat into the fluid.