Engine oil leak on MF 1020

/ Engine oil leak on MF 1020 #1  

JimInNY

Tractor
M-F 1020
plug.jpg

I'm unsure of the year, but my MF 1020 started leaking oil out of a plastic plug today on the side of the bellhousing. The plug was loose and cracked. It seems odd that a simple plastic plug could be holding back a major oil supply. I have attached a parts diagram to show what I mean. Is this normal? Do I just have to replace the plug or is there another underlying issue? Thanks in advance!

/ Engine oil leak on MF 1020
Turns out I'm going to need a rear main oil seal. Yuck!

/ Engine oil leak on MF 1020 #5  
Darn but I know from experience your going to feel much better once the new seal is in and your up and running with no leaks.

You've done it on one of these? Any helpful hints? :)

Thanks!

/ Engine oil leak on MF 1020 #7  
No Jim I've never done it on a tractor but on a 580 CK case backhoe. Once I got at it it wasn't as bad a job as I had envisioned.

Thanks, That's what I am figuring, but I have no idea where to start. Trying to find some online manual or something.

/ Engine oil leak on MF 1020 #9  
Jim crawled under my tractor today and took a look I don't really have a clue either but I'd start by getting the floor boards off. I'd then be over whelmed but get busy taking everything off that would interfere with getting the motor separated from the transmission. For me at least it's always a good idea to take a few pictures along the way so I don't start double guessing myself when it's time to put things back together. Sorry I'm not much help.

Bill, I've been searching all evening and I found a pdf service manual which covers the basics of the project, but thanks for your effort. I tried to attach it but I guess the file is too big. I will try to edit it down to just the pertinent sections and post it here for posterity. :)

Thanks again!