engine & pump size?

/ engine & pump size? #11  
I understand a little better what you are trying to do now. The logs you are getting wont fit into the processor so you want to split the logs so they will fit. I have seen homemade fence post splitters. they usually have larger diesel engines and pumps off of salvage equipment. Even tho you say speed isnt important, I think you will get pretty tired of waiting on those big logs to split with what you are proposeing. Time is money too!. My opinion is look for a piece of scrap equipment, rob the engine and pumps, and control valve, and build something to get the job done without taking all day. What are you planning on using to load those logs in the splitter and or processor. You might be able to just tap into the hydraulics and not need to worry about buying a pump and motor.

/ engine & pump size?
Thanks mudstopper for understanding my thoughts. I figure I can run the processor while I have another guy running the splitter. I get the wood for free all day long but often its in 28" to 48" diameter. Instead of spending $150,000 dollars on a huge processor I can quarter these pieces down and run them through a 20" processor. Everyone is concerned about speed but im not. I just wanna be able to process the logs and im trying to do it cheaply. So far everything Ive gotten for the build has cost me 100 bucks. I have my eye on a piece of 12" I-beam 3/4 inch thick. Then all I have to do is weld it all together. Ive seen another guy in the area do the same thing however he purchased his "monster splitter" from a commercial manufacturer and paid $60,000.00 Thats a lot for just gaining a minute or two timewise. As I said just want to make sure it will work before I build it not concerned about speed. I understand your idea about finding scrap motors and such but Im trying to use what I already have. thanks

/ engine & pump size? #13  
Yes it will work. But like I said, you have to build it SUPER STRONG, as that thing is capable of ALOT of tonnage.

And I dont think you ever answered, but HOW are you going to wrestle 4500lb peices of wood onto that thing?

/ engine & pump size? #14  
I dont know just how strong that thing needs to be to do what he is trying to do. In fact, unless he has some super nasty knotty stuff, I bet the logs will split using about the same amount of power needed to split a normal sized round. Yes, with a 8in bore cylinder he will have tremendous capapcity, but I doubt he will ever use all of it. I regularly split 30in rounds, full of knots, using a 4in bore cyl. I always split these size rounds with a 4way wedge and my splitter never even starts to bogg. I suspect that longer pieces will be as easy to split as the shorter stuff, they will just be harder to handle. I also think that once he has it built, he will start trying to figure out a way to speed it up.

/ engine & pump size? #15  
STEADY EDDIE ,

Most hyd pumps will develop the pressure you need for force as long as you have the HP.

The displacement and rpm will determine the GPM.

The trick is to match up pump, cyl and engine.

The more GPMs, the faster the cyl will move.

A small cyl will be faster than the 8 in cyl for sure.

An 8 in cyl with a 3 in shaft, and 3000 psi will develop about 75 ton.