Engine Question for Cub Cadet 128

/ Engine Question for Cub Cadet 128 #1  

GreenAcres

Bronze Member
The original motor for the Cub Cadet 128 (year of manufacture: 1971) was a Kohler 301, 12 horsepower engine.

I was wondering if this engine could be replaced for the Kohler 301 in my Cub Cadet, without major problems:

KOHLER 12.5 HORSE POWER ENGINE. IT IS HORIZONTAL SHAFT ENGINE. IT HAS 1" X 3.14" CRANK SHAFT. IT ALSO HAS A 15 AMP CHARGING SYSTEM WITH ELECTRIC START .

This engine is 12.5 horses, while my older Kohler engine is only a 12 horse engine. Also, my old 128 tractor does not have an electric start on it (but how my wife wishes it did!)

I'm not mechanically inclined, but have a friend who repairs cars and garden tractors for a living, and he is really good at it.

I'd normally just call Tim (my mechanic friend), but Tim just underwent prostate cancer surgery a week ago, and I figure it's just too soon to bother him with this.

I'm wondering if I could just buy this engine and have Tim plug it in when he gets back to work.

/ Engine Question for Cub Cadet 128 #2  
Not sure what the fitment specs are for your 128 - that was a K-series Kohler. You'd have to figure out if both the drive shaft and engine mounts line up. You'll also have the PTO pulley on the front - and even if it fits - maybe a change of belt size for the mower deck (if the pulley is higher or lower). There's also factors like operating speed - and if that will be close to the original.

Take a look at the Small Engine Warehouse and Tulsa Engine Warehouse sites. They have a lot of specs, dimensions, and re-power suggestions.

If that engine will actually fit - the extra 1/2 horse is no problem - the 128s tranny is hugely oversized for that application. Tough little beast.