Engine RPM

/ Engine RPM #1  

John Weaver

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 JD 790
I have a JD 790. The dealer (actually the guy that delivered the tractor) told me to crank the engine at idle speed, let it warm up, them increase RPM. Does this sound correct? Should I operate the tractor at rated speed (2600 RPM) after warm up, or is this causing excessive wear on the engine? Thanks, John. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Engine RPM #2  
John - My rull of thumb is: Crank it at the slowest speed it'll reliably start at. The colder the ambient temperature, the higher this speed will likely be, up to a maximum of half throttle or maybe a little less.

As for the operating rpm, I run the engine from a few hundred rpm below the peak torque rated rpm on up to maximum, depending on what I'm doing. If you need full PTO rpm, for example, you have to run it at PTO rated speed, which is usually pretty close to maximum rpm. It doesn't hurt anything, but running it at faster rpms than necessary will cause unnecessary wear, by definition. On the other hand, lugging the engine at rpms slower than the load dictates, does more damage a lot faster than the aforementioned wear, so choose your rpm accordingly.

One way to tell if you're lugging the engine is by seeing how much faster the engine runs if you remove the load. If you're running the engine below the peak torque rated rpm and the rpm jumps by more than several hundred rpm when you remove the load, you're probably running the engine too slow. Likewise, if you're running below torque rated rpm and you see more than a little black smoke, you need more rpm.

Mark

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by MChalkley on 7/26/00 11:16 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Engine RPM #3  
John, I agree with Mark and apparently operate my tractor about the same way. I start it at idle (800-900 rpm), in just a few seconds, speed it up to 1200-1400 rpm to warm up, then do most things at 1500 to 2000 rpm unless I'm using a PTO powered implement like the mower or tiller, in which case I go on up to the PTO speed.

Bird

/ Engine RPM #4  
John, don't be concerned with wear on the engine. It is made to run all day at PTO speed if you are using it for pto applications. I set mine on pto speed at take it off when I get off the tractor for a break(no cup holder).

Mowing, tilling, boxblading are all done at pto speed. Typically will run 10 hours at pto speed a day. My tractor is a gear type tractor. I run at idle speed using a rear blade to dig ditches simply because I need the lowest possible speed if I hit a rock and have to stop before something breaks. I had never had a tractor with a foot throttle before. Always set the hand throttle and left it there.

/ Engine RPM #5  
A diesel will run longer and better if you run the tar out of her. If you go easy all the time it will load up and then when you do run it up it will black smoke like crazy. But the engines are designed to be run at pto speed all day. They are not toys so don't be afraid of breaking it just keep up the fluid and filter changes and it will run for many thousands of hours--I've got almost 8000 hrs on mine!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ Engine RPM
Thanks, sounds like I am doing the right thing. I guess I could back off of PTO rated speed if I don't need the power. John./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif