engine speeds for operating

/ engine speeds for operating #1  

dougj7

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2630
Hi, I recently purchased a kubota b2630 with a la403 loader and a bh75 backhoe. Can someone please recommend the proper rpm's for using the loader, backhoe, and just driving around. I have heard it's not good to lug the engine, but thats not very specific. I currently have around 10 hrs on the hour meter. Are the break-in engine rpms different than the post break-in rpm's? Thanks, Doug

/ engine speeds for operating #2  
Hi Doug,

I have a B3030 with same attachments.
The manual says to try an not run at full throttle for 1st 50 hours. I'd say just take a little easy and sure people have ran hard with no problems.
Normally i run at about 1800 RPM when driving in M, if I'm using the hoe 2000rpm is usually all i need. You'll see if you operate the implements at a very low rpm they will move slower and as you increase they will speed up. Any thing above 2000RPM for me I really do not notice any difference and would not get any more digging power by running full throttle. Not sure, but if you had PTO implements, higher RPMS would probly be necessary. I have the 30hp so you may need to go a little higher.
I think a good rule of thumb till you learn is start out a little low and keep increaseing a little until you reach the point where you see no improved performance.

Bob

/ engine speeds for operating
Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply. I heard that it isn't good for a diesel engine to idle. Is there any truth to that? If so, what is the maximimum time I should let the engine idle. I find myself getting off the tractor alot while I am in the middle of using it. Before I get off, I always drop the rpm's down to idle and put the brakes on. -Doug

/ engine speeds for operating #4  
Five to ten minutes of idling or so is plenty, if your not going to use it during that time, just shut it off and save fuel.

Remember, fuel consumption always decreases dramatically when the rpms are zero! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ engine speeds for operating #5  
Doug-
I realize it is a pain to shut down your tractor when you get off it, but I think it is a good safety practice to shut it down when your not on it. Just my two cents. Mike
Enjoy your tractor

/ engine speeds for operating #6  
Doug,
I'm started with mine in the spring so i'm so i'd go with what they said above on the idling.
A note on turning tractor off when getting off. I had a load of gravel in the bucket and turned off the tractor to get something. By the time i got back the load had dumped. Probly because i left bucket up off the ground. I have not had the same situation, gravel in bucket when i turned off, to see if the bucket would curl forward even if it where lowered to the ground.

/ engine speeds for operating #7  
Doug
I have to agree with Thom, SkyPup… If you are not using it within five minuets or so… shut it off. Other wise leave it running.
I have always figured there is a finite number of cycles in anything, Engines, starters batteries and switches… of these, the engine has vastly more cycles than any of the rest of the system. As to breakin rpm… don’t do any extended, extreme load or rpm, this will also apply for the rest of it’s life. Operate at an engine speed that is within your ability to accomplish your job at hand. Lower any bucket when you are not on your tractor, if for no other reason… is makes a great parking brake /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. KennyV.

/ engine speeds for operating #8  
Doug, when your runnin your Bh start at a med RPM setting like 1500 to see how the hoe works for you then up the RPMs till you find the sweet spot where the hoe works best for you.
I run mine BH75 at 1700-1800 on a L2800 and find any more doesn't make it work any better just more eng noise.
My previous B7500 ran best at 2000.

/ engine speeds for operating #9  
I go with the crowd that says when you leave the seat turn the tractor off. Take a look through the safety thread on this forum. You will get a real good idea of what can happen if you don’t.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ engine speeds for operating #10  
If you live on serious hills, (means you have to park it there rather often while you work) you'll get a real good idea what can happen if you do shut it off and leave the seat for extended periods. I want the hydraulic pump primed with available pressure, constantly on an incline. Beats pulling it out of the trees or outrunning it (Hydro). If I'm foolish enough to do something stupid with that "constant" pressure, then bad for me. Life isn't safe and I don't want to waste energy trying to make it such. If I lived on a table top, sure, then I'd shut it off. Then the advice to shut it down generally sticks.

The point is..... sometimes shutting it down is not the best practice. Every situtation is different.

I shoe-horn mine in the garage. It's super tight. I get off and stand in the path of the BH swing and operate th BH from the ground. How's that for unsafe operation? Safest way to do it though, assuming I'm not the only thing that deserves protection. Now Tuesday morning, I'm commuting to work and back. That's rather dangerous. I'm far from full control of that situtation. Not promoting unsafe practice, just safety is relative.

Now what was the original post about? Oh yes.... Do as you please. Just deal with it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif