Engine sputtering...What's going on?

/ Engine sputtering...What's going on? #41  
Harry c said:
Not necessarily. Sometimes the rubber fuel line can get sucked shut if there is just a small amount of vacuum. Happens most often where the line makes a bend.

That's why i much prefer hard fuel lines.

soundguy

/ Engine sputtering...What's going on? #42  
Tommy V said:
It is very easy to miss the slight hissing sound when the cap is removed, especially if you are not looking, or specifically listening, for it. It doesn't take much of a vacuum to overcome gravity which is the way fuel gets to the pump.

True.. I guess.. though those are things I usually look for on my old gassers.. though can't say i do on my diesels.. ( even though they have a vented cap that has a rattle ball in them.. etc. ) Guess a lift pump might help.. however.. in the end.. that would just bandaid the issue if it is indeed a tank vent issue.

would be great if that's all it is...

Next question.. does that tank have a built in vent.. or is the cap vented?

soundguy

/ Engine sputtering...What's going on? #43  
Next question.. does that tank have a built in vent.. or is the cap vented?
The cap is vented.
My old Wheelhorse 856 had a problem w/the gas cap vent being plugged once. Symptoms were surprisingly similar to this, and of course the 856 was a gasser. Gravity flow to the fuel pump then pressurized to the carb.
Was able to tell by just simply openning the cap at WOT and the problem ceased. Cleaned the cap out and it's worked great for the lst 15 yrs :D

It would be great if thats the fix and at this point he's just about alleviated all the other common fixes.

We'll see.....

/ Engine sputtering...What's going on?
So, I got home last night and took the fuel cap off and blew through it from the top. I couldn't hear any restrctions and air flowed through without an impedament. Today I fired her up and drove out of the garage and around the yard to the back. I had the cap on a little loose and decided I would tighten it up. After a bit of a warm up she hesitated ever so slightly but only once, like a car misses a cylinder. I decided I would do some backhoe work as that is usually the tell tale truth. I began to lengthen the ditch I am digging for spring runoff on a low spot in my back yard and must have gone on for a good 30 minutes until the evidence returned. However, this time only slightlty and with much longer durations between the sputtering. I am now convinced it is water and is working itself out. I just see no other reason why it behaves the way it is. Go figure.:confused:

/ Engine sputtering...What's going on? #45  
I am not so sure water will cause these type of symptoms.

I have read articles in which researchers are blending very large amounts of water with diesel fuel for emission purposes and the engines apparently run OK.

In the winter time, it's another story. Frozen water is a whole different animal, but apparently diesels can swallow a lot of water without problems and at the same time lower emissions.

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/documents/renewables/PuriNoxl.pdf

/ Engine sputtering...What's going on? #46  
That site refers to emulsions of diesel, water & surfactants. Normally, oil & water don't mix, and just a little water in a BX fuel filter will prevent the diesel fuel from passing through the filter, causing the symtoms described. Been there - replace BOTH filters & make sure you have no leaks or collapsed hoses.

/ Engine sputtering...What's going on? #47  
a little note about your electronic fuel (transfer) pumps. Just because they are making noise does not mean they are doing anything and that goes for orange, blue, green, and red tractors. If you suspect yours has a problem go to your local parts store and buy a transfer pump for a 95 chevy 6.5 diesel, 35 bucks with a lifetime warranty. The flow and pressure is the same and its a little bit more heavy duty than the ones we get on our tractors. As a diesel tech for years i cant count the number of transfer pumps i have replaced, alot of them made lots of noise but no flow, or would work then quit then work then quit. My dads 455 had one that the 12 volt supply wire had broken inside the insualtion that was fun to find.
On the subject of vented caps, i once had a old 6.5 in my stall that the customer had put a fuel cap on off of an old car in his junk yard, the fuel tank looked like it was imploded. crazy stuff !!!

workinallthetime said:
a little note about your electronic fuel (transfer) pumps. Just because they are making noise does not mean they are doing anything and that goes for orange, blue, green, and red tractors... buy a transfer pump for a 95 chevy 6.5 diesel, 35 bucks with a lifetime warranty. The flow and pressure is the same and its a little bit more heavy duty than the ones we get on our tractors...a fuel cap on off of an old car in his junk yard, the fuel tank looked like it was imploded. crazy stuff !!!

Thats interesting. The pump sounds different than it used to in a way that is hard to describe. At the same time, I am getting more and more convinced it is water. Due to the irregular shape of the fuel tank, I drove one side of the rear wheels up on a log to siphon out the fuel, but may have missed some. That said, it is %100 better and once this fuel is burned, I will expect it should pretty much eliminate itself. Albeit, I am not out of the water yet :mad: and changing the fuel pump was the next thing on my list. If it gets worse, especially on this tank, I must assume the transfer pump.

/ Engine sputtering...What's going on? #49  
perhaps something to prevent future problems would be to install a water seperator, the filter design on my b3030 has that ability where the bx models do not from what i have seen. mount it to the frame and go, should not take more than 50 bucks and 30 minutes or so.

workinallthetime said:
perhaps something to prevent future problems would be to install a water seperator, the filter design on my b3030 has that ability where the bx models do not from what i have seen. mount it to the frame and go, should not take more than 50 bucks and 30 minutes or so.

Space would be the issue. I saw a water seperator at my local auto surplus, but was quite large. Maybe the 3030 could be retrofitted to somewhere under the hood of the BX.