Engine starting issue, TC-25, TC-29

/ Engine starting issue, TC-25, TC-29 #1  

rwendel

Tractor
Case 75C Farmall, Ford 2120, Ford 4000, Ford 8000, Kubota BX1800, Farmall 140
Anyone know why these tractors need the glow plugs for starting even when it’s 95 degrees outside. I’ve never owned any other diesel powered machine with this problem and they both do it.
Is there something wrong with them.

/ Engine starting issue, TC-25, TC-29 #2  
I'm not familiar with those tractors but I'll hazard a guess at low compression. They may be made that way. The glow plugs may add just enough "oomph" to ignite the diesel.

/ Engine starting issue, TC-25, TC-29
I'm not familiar with those tractors but I'll hazard a guess at low compression. They may be made that way. The glow plugs may add just enough "oomph" to ignite the diesel.
It has a Shimbura (? Spelling) 1.3 liter, 3 cylinder engine if that helps any. Both tractors have roughly 2000 hours an neither one smokes like worn rings

/ Engine starting issue, TC-25, TC-29 #4  
Most tractors, probably from 2000 and on (guessing a year here), have a glow plug controller. It usually measures the temp of the coolant and adjust the time the glow plugs are On accordingly to the temp.

Yes, it will always turn the glow plugs On, regardless of the temp outside or if the tractor has run the entire day. It simply adjusts the time it's on. If it's cold, it runs longer, if it's hotter, it runs less time. When the engine was already up to temp, it barely turns the glow plugs on, but still does it. Again, this happens on most tractors.

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense but on the other hand. I have 2 other tractors that start every time, with out having to preheat. My old Ford 2120 starts in 1-2 seconds every time even if it痴 30 degrees and my 2014 Case tractor does the same thing. Even if there is an automatic glow plug switch, it isn稚 on long enough to make a difference. I hope that makes sense

/ Engine starting issue, TC-25, TC-29 #6  
Mine is a 99 With 1100 hrs. and I never use the glow plugs unless its under 30 . Are you saying your tractor wont start unless you hold it on pre heat before you start it.:drink:

It will eventually start after grinding on the starter for 15 seconds. If I hit the glow plug for 5 seconds, it fires right up. Once the engine has been running for a while, it will re-start easily. It痴 not that big of deal but don稚 understand why it痴 that way

/ Engine starting issue, TC-25, TC-29 #8  
I don,t think it's anything to worry about.:drink: