Entry Gate advice appreciated.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I'm in the planning stages of building an entry gate for my place and keep going back and forth between a sliding gate or a swing gate. I have power to the gate already, so that's not a concern. The gate will be on the heavy side, but I haven't made it yet. As of right now, I'm thinking 8 feet tall and 14 feet wide. I'm also looking at different motors to open and close it, but that's not such a big deal since there are so many out there. It will probably be a commercial unit.

Sliding or swing? What is the most hassle free? What are the pros and cons?

Thank you

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #2  
I'm in the planning stages of building an entry gate for my place and keep going back and forth between a sliding gate or a swing gate. I have power to the gate already, so that's not a concern. The gate will be on the heavy side, but I haven't made it yet. As of right now, I'm thinking 8 feet tall and 14 feet wide. I'm also looking at different motors to open and close it, but that's not such a big deal since there are so many out there. It will probably be a commercial unit.

Sliding or swing? What is the most hassle free? What are the pros and cons?

Thank you
With a slide gate you will have a smaller path to keep clear for the gate to operate.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #3  
Whatever you decide to build, I'd make sure it's very stiff so the gate doesn't settle. Lots of cross bracing. I have seen alot of nice gates left open because they are difficult to move.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #4  
I've got a sliding gate with a solar opener. Have to replace the battery (deep cycle) every 2 - 3 years. One thing to be aware of is that when an ice storm happens, you'll need to clean off the ice to use the gate.

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #5  
I've got a sliding gate with a solar opener. Have to replace the battery (deep cycle) every 2 - 3 years. One thing to be aware of is that when an ice storm happens, you'll need to clean off the ice to use the gate.
Given that Eddie is in TX, that shouldn't be a very frequent problem...
I would say sliding.

Aaron Z

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #6  
I see more gate problems from leaning posts than from sagging gates.

Bruce

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #7  
I like swinging, personally....sliding just looks too industrial for me.

As for sagging, put an 6inch I-beam in a couple yards of concrete, then put few tons of rock around it and you won't have a post moving problem. :D

Mine: 2 ten foot gates.

ry%3D400

/ Entry Gate advice appreciated. #8  
I prefer swing gates and the wider the better.
This pic was the gate at my last home. 2 12' gates for 24' opening. The posts are old utility poles set 5' in the ground.
I made the hinge mounts adjustable to keep it even but never had to adjust because the poles were so ridged.
Spend your money on the opener, I had HF that worked great until it lost the codes and I couldn't get them back.
Then went to a Might Mule and it kept messing up so I ended up just opening the gate manually.
Nothing like two trips in and out of your vehicle to come or go!

Attachments

• 000_0570.JPG
    000_0570.JPG
    447.4 KB · Views: 305
   / Entry Gate advice appreciated. #9  
Eddie: I have been using a swing gate for eight years, old RR ties hold it up. Only caution I can tell you is in that time it has been hit twice by guys pulling trailers, requiring adjustments.

Attachments

• Front gate after red paint (2).JPG
    Front gate after red paint (2).JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 312
   / Entry Gate advice appreciated. #10  
Aesthetically it is swing gates every time. Like TnAndy says, slide gates look functional but have no personality.