Security & Theft Equipment Stolen

/ Equipment Stolen #21  
Sucks for sure. Definately sounds like a pro job. Maybe the same ones that hit you before.

What about some IR video cameras. Both visible and hidden?

/ Equipment Stolen #22  
Sheesh ! for the cost of the stolen equipment over the years, you would think with the available technology is cheap enough to buy and catch who did this. Remeber, you can't stop em, but catching them is more important.;)

/ Equipment Stolen #23  
For us its pretty complicated. Our store fills 25 acers, we have 1/4mi of highway frontage. At any given time there are probably at least 300 drive away machines sitting outside. Its not like we're talking a dozen lawn and garden tractors. We have tried a few things. Motion activated alarms, chained off areas, etc. Its effective for your petty thief, but these guys knew what they where doing.

sounds like your business could afford to hire an armed guard to work nights and weekends. If you add up the value of your lost equipment, hassle of insurance claims, and lost revenue from equipment you didn't sell because it's no longer in your inventory, it would probably justify the annual expense to keep a guard on duty. If nothing else, get one part time and put up signs that say, "Armed security guard works 4 days a week, you guess which days or nights"!

Hope they find the thieves and get your equipment back.

/ Equipment Stolen #24  
Dealers should consider putting a few portable On-Star boxes in a few choice machines and set them up as bait. When they move, On-Star calls home and the trace begins using differential GPS. You even get live sound. My advice would be to have them notify you first and maybe not the police automatically. Your team might have a new and improved method for dealing with the perps. My personnal preference is an 18v Milwaukee drill with a 1/16" wire rope loop in the chuck. Set the drill on slow speed /max torque. If you don't get the other participant's names from their sign language, there probably weren't any others involved.

/ Equipment Stolen #25  
Stop in at Sam's club and check out the video surveillance systems. They even have DVR's there now. IR capable. Good color video quality even. Probably would run you about $1200 for one. It won't cover everything but it'll help deter them. And maybe even get them on video for id. And it'll reduce your costs of insurance if you have them.

Steve

/ Equipment Stolen #26  
I know Lo Jack is predominately for the end consumer, but we have recovered several pieces of stolen construction equipment over the years with those. Probably too expensive for a sales business to invest in but I know they work.

/ Equipment Stolen #27  
I know Lo Jack is predominately for the end consumer, but we have recovered several pieces of stolen construction equipment over the years with those. Probably too expensive for a sales business to invest in but I know they work.

A few bait pieces with lojack or onstar might put a dent in it, for a while anyway.

/ Equipment Stolen #28  
The idea of using lojack or similar devices is a good one for most scenarios. I work for a heavy equipment OEM and it's been tossed around for some time now as an option on our machines.

/ Equipment Stolen #29  
I hope they get caught. Thieves are the lowest form of life on the planet. A former local Case-IH dealer lost a cab tractor off his lot hear a couple or three years ago. The thieves sat right on the street in broad daylight on a Sat. afternoon and loaded it on a gooseneck trailer. 1/2 a block from the local police station. Nobody really got a good description, because they waved at passer bys and acted like they where supposed to be there. Last I heard the tractor had never been located.