equipment trailer wiring.

/ equipment trailer wiring.
If the spade is a 4-pin spade connector then your truck isn't wired to control trailer brakes.
I wasn't worried about the brakes as much as I was the lights. I have a 2019 Ford F250 that has a brake controller built into the dash so it has a 7 pin spade type plugin. The problem is this trailer has a 7 pin round pin type plug so I had to buy that adaptor that dangles behind the truck. I was trying to figure out how to just put a 7 pin female plug on the trailer and not have to worry about that heavy adaptor. No matter how I wired it, it won't work without that adaptor.

Most vehicle factory plugs are the RV Standard and most trailer wiring is now the same. I have 4 factory trailers and they all work in my trucks. When I do a rewire I follow the 7 way RV style. I just did two horse trailers from scratch. I also run trailer brake wire down each side. Most oem trailer brake wire is down one side then they cross over and wire the other side. The standard two way wire for brakes has gotten so expensive I save my damaged drop cords and use that wire. I try to stay with 14 gauge which is enough when you run two sets. Thats why I like the junction boxes, a lot of access.

View attachment 822467
View attachment 822468
That's what has been the problem the plug on the trailer is the heavy-duty commercial type plug, 7 pin round on it. My truck has the 7 blade spade type connector
There's also a round metal "industrial" plug with different wiring.
That is what's on the trailer. 7 pin round pin plug.

Last edited:
   / equipment trailer wiring. #13  
I also would start with the assumption that the trailer wiring has "played with" and probably needs attention front to back. 👍

You can remove the connector on the truck, wire in a 7 pin connector and add a brake controller.
Without a brake controller, you will not have any trailer brakes.

My truck already has a factory brake controller and I really don't want to change the plug type on the truck I have 4 trailers that I use and all of them use the 7 pin spade plug-in type accept this one.

And to, LD1.......I only bought that adaptor so I would have lights for the 60-mile trip home but I never got out of the parking lot with it hooked up because of the brake issue.

/ equipment trailer wiring. #17  
My truck already has a factory brake controller and I really don't want to change the plug type on the truck I have 4 trailers that I use and all of them use the 7 pin spade plug-in type accept this one.
A lot of back and forth on this. It would have been best to explain that your truck is tow ready and the wiring on the old trailer not clear. LouNY has what you need here.

A lot of back and forth on this. It would have been best to explain that your truck is tow ready and the wiring on the old trailer not clear. LouNY has what you need here.
Check out the Q and A on this page, your 7 pin round is likely wired the older Heavy Duty way.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wi...aUaAv_HEALw_wcB#exp-productdetails=.questions
I think I mentioned that in my second post at the top of this page. I have been to e-trailer and read those answers. As someone else said why not just put a new Rv style plug in on the trailer? I tried that and I never got it to work. None of those drawings show that jumper that jumps the black wire to the brown and if I wire it that way it will work with the adaptor but not when I wire it straight. I'm thinking now I'll just leave that adaptor in the line; it works that way so to heck with it. I'll just wire tie the thing up so it's not hanging down so much and be done with it. Thanks

/ equipment trailer wiring. #19  
I think I mentioned that in my second post at the top of this page. I have been to e-trailer and read those answers. As someone else said why not just put a new Rv style plug in on the trailer? I tried that and I never got it to work. None of those drawings show that jumper that jumps the black wire to the brown and if I wire it that way it will work with the adaptor but not when I wire it straight. I'm thinking now I'll just leave that adaptor in the line; it works that way so to heck with it. I'll just wire tie the thing up so it's not hanging down so much and be done with it. Thanks
Take the round heavy duty connector off. Establish your ground.

One by one give each wire 12v and see what happens. Make note.
Wire up new 7-way

You say "no matter how I wire it, it won't work"

That's because up to this point you haven't got the correct way yet😉

/ equipment trailer wiring. #20  
Most vehicle factory plugs are the RV Standard and most trailer wiring is now the same. I have 4 factory trailers and they all work in my trucks. When I do a rewire I follow the 7 way RV style. I just did two horse trailers from scratch. I also run trailer brake wire down each side. Most oem trailer brake wire is down one side then they cross over and wire the other side. The standard two way wire for brakes has gotten so expensive I save my damaged drop cords and use that wire. I try to stay with 14 gauge which is enough when you run two sets. Thats why I like the junction boxes, a lot of access.

View attachment 822467
View attachment 822468
Just for clarification.....

Equipment standard vs RV standard are no different in plug or layout.

It is ONLY the wire color.

The truck is always gonna have the taillights at 11 o'clock and ground at 7 o'clock on the 7-way. (Most frequent ones I check)

But an equipment trailer is gonna use a brown wire for tail lights, and an RV is gonna use the green wire.

As for trucks.....I don't think they follow a standard and use their own wire colors that make no sense