Erosion; What and How to plant?

/ Erosion; What and How to plant? #1  

Phred

Veteran Member
Tractor
TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans
I have an erosion problem. The high point of my property is ~ 2000 feet and the low point is ~ 1600 feet. Most of it is actually fairly level but two sections are very steep.

I would like to plant something in order to prevent erosion on these steep areas. Running a tractor up and down these areas is not an option. Any ideas on what to plant and how?
These steep areas are ~10-20 acres.

I need a kinder, gentler Kudzu /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

/ Erosion; What and How to plant? #2  
This question is right in my professional line of work. But I can't help you design an erosion mix without knowing details about climate, soils, ect... Your local University Cooperative Extension Service can do that. I would recommend a grass/legume mix. If the ground is too steep to seed with a compact tractor and spreader, then maybe you could use an electric spreader mounted to an ATV fourtrac vehicle. Drag a length of chain link fence behind the seeder to cover the seed.

/ Erosion; What and How to plant?
jyoutz,

Thanks for the input.
My place is in the ozark mountians of north western Arkansas.
Soil is mostly clay, while the climate includes a mild winter and a hot ( and often dry) summer.

I had given though to some type of clover. Would it be a good idea to plant just the clover or is a mix of clover and grass needed?

/ Erosion; What and How to plant? #4  
Phred
Whatever you do...don't plant kudzu.
My Grandpa planted 3 seeds he got in the mail about 40 years ago and my Grandma, my sister and I have been fighting the stuff with sprays, chemicals, front end loaders, mowers and everything else we can think of, trying to get rid of it for the past several years. That damned stuff is indestructable!

/ Erosion; What and How to plant? #5  
I would plant a mix of grass and clover, or maybe another legume like American vetch instead of clover. This is always better than a single species due to differing rooting depths and seasonality of growth habits (and better overall disease resistance). If you want a native plant mix, use Virginia wildrye, switchgrass and American vetch (I would confirm this mix first with local experts -my recommendation is broadly based on your general part of the country, but unique local conditions could favor other species better). A non-native but suitable mix would be tall fescue and red clover (or Ladino alfalfa). Which way you go is kinda based on your own philosophy and land management goals. Either mix will work well for erosion control. Just remember to incorporate the seed into the soil the best way you can, not just broadcast it on top of hard ground.

/ Erosion; What and How to plant? #6  
Phred, let me welcome a fellow Arkie to the board, I live at Augusta, 12 miles east of Bald Knob on hiway 64.

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim

/ Erosion; What and How to plant? #7  
>>Whatever you do...don't plant kudzu.
My Grandpa planted 3 seeds he got in the mail about 40 years ago and my Grandma, my sister and I have been fighting the stuff with sprays, chemicals, front end loaders, mowers and everything else we can think of, trying to get rid of it for the past several years. That damned stuff is indestructable!<<

LOL - I live in Kudzuless Indiana but have relatives in the South. Kudzu is the AIDS of the plant kingdom. It kills all other plants, there's no cure and it just keeps on spreading!

Chuck in IN

/ Erosion; What and How to plant? #8  
See the "Hill Help" thread (I think it's in the Rural Living discussion group). There's a discussion on using Crown Vetch to control erosion.

Henry