Error code 2042 and won't start

/ Error code 2042 and won't start #1  

Haasguy

Tractor
2015 Massey Ferguson 1736 Hydro
Hi all,
I've got a 2015 1736 that's been a little bit of a pain with engine codes. My dealer has been great but now I've got a new one and my tractor is sitting in a creek bed and won't start. The code 2042 comes on whenever I turn the key to on, but without trying to start it. When I turn it over, it cranks over but never starts. Anyone have access to the engine codes?

Rob

/ Error code 2042 and won't start #2  
Hey Rob,

Sorry I don't have any help for you on the codes. I'm assuming this is not a safety interlock issue and you have checked the seat switch, neutral shift...

What other issues have you had with your 1736? How many hours do you have on it?

I"m hoping your dealer can help you out soon and you can get it out of the creek bed which doesn't sound like a good place to be if heavy rains are predicted.

Let us know what they find.

/ Error code 2042 and won't start #3  
Hey Rob,

Did you get your Tractor out of the creek bed?

/ Error code 2042 and won't start
The dealer came out and cleared the error and got it running. The code was for excessive fuel rail pressure. They aren't sure what did it but they are leaving the work order open for a few weeks until I can see if it comes back. I love this tractor, just lots of error codes that they have spent tons of time on diagnosing. I don't know if they had to reset only the computer this time or if there was a physical over pressure pop off type switch that had to be reset also. The tractor was definitely dead though and this is the first time that's happened. The other times have just been annoying codes that make it run badly or die and then have to be restarted.

/ Error code 2042 and won't start #5  
Thanks for the update, glad to learn they were able to get you going again.

How many hours do you have on your 1736?

I only have about 26 hours on mine as I bought it primarily for winter use and we had almost zero snow in upstate NY last winter.

I have yet to go through a regeneration cycle, my soot level is at 2 bars.

I have had zero issues so far.

/ Error code 2042 and won't start #6  
I have a new 1736 and I had a similar issue this past Sunday. I went to pull it out of the shed, it started right up. I then went to hook up my quick attach bucket that I had taken off the prior day as I was just doing some mowing. As I crept forward to engage the bucket I inadvertently pulled myself off of the seat and defeated the seat safety interlock and the tractor shut off. OK, no big deal, it's happened before....I just put the HST in neutral, set the brake and attempted to restart it. At this point it would crank and crank but would not fire off and start. There were no error codes on the dash, and the only issue I have had or noticed in the 2 weeks I've had it is that the fuel gauge is a bit flaky. I did a reset by unhooking the neg battery cable for a minute or so and it did not help. I then noticed that there were "no bars" on the dash representing the fuel level in the tank. I knew that I had to have had at least 1/2 tank of fuel based on the use the prior day and that I had filled it prior to that use. Either way, it wasn't reading any nor was it giving me a low fuel warning or anything. It was then that I ran to get some fuel for it. I got 5 gallons of fuel, of which it only took 4 gallons, backing up my at least 1/2 full notion. With a full tank I attempted to start it again and the same result. I reset the computer again by removing the neg battery cable and still the same result. At this time I needed this tractor out of the way so I could get at some other equipment so I pulled it out of the way with another vehicle. One more time, I jumped in and tried it again. As I turned on the key, I did notice that my fuel gauge was now reading 3/4 full on my "full to the top" tank. I gave it a crank, longer than normal as it was about 15 seconds and it started! Why? I don't know...There is no rhyme nor reason to what had transpired...Is the computer possibly electronically tied to the fuel gauge and it wouldn't fire because it thought it was out of fuel? When it did start, it did run a bit rough for 15-20 seconds...

Thanks,

LM

/ Error code 2042 and won't start #7  
My guess is that you activating the seat safety switch interlock was only coincident to your tractor running out of fuel. Is there a slope where you had backed to tractor out to, maybe the level in the tank got below the pickup? It must not have been too dry as I'm somewhat surprised you didn't need to bleed the injectors, but maybe all the times trying to start it did just that. Only my guess?

/ Error code 2042 and won't start #8  
Plausible guess but it was in my shop which is quite level. And, in taking less than 5 gallons to fill an 11 gallon tank I don't think it was out of fuel. But, who knows...

LM

/ Error code 2042 and won't start #9  
That's true, your tank being only half empty when you had the issues doesn't make sense.

Isn't the tank split into 2 sections, you fill it on the left side (as you sit in the seat to drive) and the fuel filter and the other section are on the right side. Maybe whatever connects the 2 halves was blocked by something until you moved the tractor to get to other equipment, I wonder what side the fuel level sensor is on. Maybe the issues you were halving with the fuel gauge being "flaky" correlate to this issue. Again only a guess.

I keep going back to the 3 requirements for your tractor to run; air, spark and fuel. I doubt your air filter was plugged, you most likely had spark (glow plugs) because it was turning over. When you said it ran rough after it first started that to me sounded like not all cylinders were getting equal fuel until the air was purged from the lines.

This will be interesting to learn what the real problem is.

/ Error code 2042 and won't start #10  
Yes, I agree it will be interesting to find out. My thought was that because the fuel gauge was reading empty it may be tied electronically back to the ECU and cut fuel because of it? Again, just a guess as well as I don't know if the fuel gauge is tied to the ECU as an input or not. Hasn't happened since and yes I believe you are correct with the saddle tank layout on this tractor.

LM