Escaping the New England snow... temporarily!

/ Escaping the New England snow... temporarily! #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
Last week was "winter vacation" in much of New England, and since my wife's a teacher, we took advantage of the week off to escape to the Caribbean for a week...

We stayed at the Concordia Eco-tents on St. John, USVI, for our second time and loved it so much we booked it again for next year...

Our modest, yet reasonably affordable lodgings:

3293772069_789c8d3327.jpg

3294597512_acd6aa7f47.jpg

Solar powered 12v electrics, solar hot water, rainwater cistern, and composting toilet, sitting at "treetop level" on land bordering the Virgin Islands National Park...

Ours was the one up at the top, on the Atlantic (right) side:

3293673651_55e4a7bb30.jpg

3294488738_a070b59398.jpg

It provided these views from the deck:

To the east are the British Virgin islands...

3293676013_6e437e0142.jpg

To the south is Ram's Head, the most southern and eastern point of land in the US (and it's territories). To the left of that landmark is looking toward Africa...
3293785775_416d157bcb.jpg

To the west, toward St Maartens and St Thomas is the Caribbean Sea:

3294476968_05815077dc.jpg

A week of snorkeling and swimming during 80-degree days, then falling to sleep to the sound of the wind and crashing surf, with 70-degree nights seemed like paradise compared to what we left behind in Massachusetts...

3293664301_43444c8f6f.jpg

The great thing about the "backside of St John" is that it is so far off the beaten path of most tourists that even during this, the busiest week of the year, it wasn't really that busy... Here's our two favorite beaches, even though others are more "post-card picturesque" -- can you guess why?

3294595658_9593a17fa0.jpg

413194517_f242cd127d.jpg

The weather cooperated -- occasional showers at night, but only one grey, blustery day that made for some good photos and walks on the beach...

3294610998_8b40bccb66.jpg

3293786299_14d70e641d.jpg

3293781175_0fdc1c9d81.jpg

This was our second trip to these Concordia Eco-Tents, and we liked it so much that we booked the same week for next year...

It was tough to come back to snow on the ground, and snow flurries...

/ Escaping the New England snow... temporarily! #2  
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.:D

You did come back home did you?:D

I might go for a Beach walk later today but rest assured the clothing will be quite different!:D

Our Beach picture.

Attachments

• P2200026.JPG
    P2200026.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 147
   / Escaping the New England snow... temporarily!
You did come back home did you?:D

I might go for a Beach walk later today but rest assured the clothing will be quite different!:D

Our Beach picture.

Yes, I'm afraid we had to come back... we quickly ran out of money... :D

Nice pic of your beach. I'll bet that makes for a bit chilly stroll on the beach this time of year!

I'm really not a beach person -- would typically prefer to vacation to the mountains instead -- but escaping from the cold/snow has a joy all it's own... :)

/ Escaping the New England snow... temporarily! #5  
typically prefer to vacation to the mountains

Winter Mountain Time can be Heaven. But so could warmer winter beach time!:D:D

In another life I was able to spend considerable time in Rocky Mountains of Alberta both summer and winter. There are some very nice lodges out there. My evening time was usually spent in huts or hostels.

But a very nice Lodge resides at the base of Mt. Assinaboine at edge lo Lake Magog. :D I have not stayed there in the winter but have cycled up in the late fall.:D
http://www.assiniboinelodge.com/

Attachments

• assin_main_winter.jpg
    assin_main_winter.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 117
   / Escaping the New England snow... temporarily! #6  
Very nice KentT! It was 12 here last night. I went out to look for a comet at 1:30a.m. in my jammies. Too much haze. Bummer. :( I came back in and kicked the cat off the bed and took his warm spot. :D

/ Escaping the New England snow... temporarily! #7  
Thanks for the pics Kent, sure looks nice and I could imagine the sound of the waves.

Any pics of the inside of these "Eco-tents"?

/ Escaping the New England snow... temporarily! #9  
Good Evenin Kent,
Ohhh that looks sooo nice !!! :) Thanks for posting those shots !

Kathleen and I are going back to St Martin later on this spring, we have been there quite a few times and never get tired of the white sand beaches ! ;)

Very nice !

/ Escaping the New England snow... temporarily! #10  
Thanks Kent, looks ideal for a relaxing vacation, no television, computor or phone.

Isn't the timber around the shower going to look tatty in a while?