Essential tractor features

/ Essential tractor features #11  
Essential?

PTO

3pth

Starts, hot or cold.

Good tires. (or chains)

The rest is just convenience

That's pretty much my definition of "essential" too.

But, there are a number of things on my new Kubota that were not on my old John Deere that I really enjoy. Bear in mind that my JD was 27 years old and some of these things are pretty much standard on CUTs these days:

1. Power Steering (especially with a FEL!)
2. Live PTO
3. Extendable lower links
4. Single stick loader control
5. Better seat

I initially bought the JD without an FEL. I'd had it 4-5 years when I was able to buy one for it and it wasn't long before I swore an oath that I'd never own a tractor without one again.

/ Essential tractor features #13  
5 year bumper to bumper warranty

CAB with HVAC

tilt steering wheel and telescopic wheel is very nice

extendable lower links

dual or more rear hydraulic ports

I use my FEL and backhoe so much, I wouldn't buy a tractor without them. Not everyone will use a backhoe as much as I do though.

Hour meter that works off the engine PTO speed to register hours. Having just a clock that registers full hours with turn of the key is pretty much worthless in determining maintenance or hours of use when selling used or buying used.

A high dollar item but worth the cost is a good adjustable air ride suspension seat with arm rests

/ Essential tractor features #14  
Loud horn.... So you can beep at and wave at your neighbor while you are out working with your tractor. Probably really annoys him that you have one and he does not..... :)

/ Essential tractor features #15  
Loud horn.... So you can beep at and wave at your neighbor while you are out working with your tractor. Probably really annoys him that you have one and he does not..... :)
I thought all tractors came with a horn now. Who knew.

/ Essential tractor features #16  
Along with previously mentioned 4WD, telescoping hitch stabilizers, extendable rear links and a high quality seat I'd add:

> Wheel spinner, which I added as a "nice to have" feature, but now rely on.
Really helpful for maneuvering a CUT in cramped quarters and makes lawn cutting with a lawn tractor much easier around trees and other fixed objects .

> Depending on the intended use of the tractor, Top-N-Tilt.
For box blade and rear forks it's almost painful to work without it, now that I know how much more I can get done, per hour, with it hooked up.

-Jim

Last edited:
   / Essential tractor features #17  
,,To add a few:
,,,,,Split brakes with lock down engaging each pedal

,,,,,2 speed independent PTO

,,,,,Parking gear that locks wheels so they wont turn.

,,,,,Ample cooling for 100% load.

/ Essential tractor features #18  
Most importantly SSQA on the loader. Then hydraulics on the front and rear to run the grapple and backhoe, HST transmission, extendible 3ph arms, 4wd, and R4 tires. I would never own another tractor without any of the above features.

Last edited:
   / Essential tractor features #19  
Most importantly SSQA on the loader. Then hydraulics on the front and rear to run the grapple and backhoe, HST transmission, extendible 3ph arms, and R4 tires. I would never own another tractor without any of the above features.

I am surprised to find this is the first post in this thread to mention front hydraulics. Most of the items in the thread are on my must have list.

- I will add additional tool/chain storage, which we normally fabricate individually.

/ Essential tractor features #20  
Without duplicating what everyone's said, I would add a rear work light.

More lights up front the better but rear is essential to me.

Features I like - auto throttle advance, 3pt position control.