Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers?
Looks like a small shift in crime and punishment may have begun.

Cities across the region are asking for more essential workers including funding to train and hire more Law Enforcement...

I hope those in power realize this doesn't happen overnight and damage that has been done with many in law enforcement continuing to plan their exits...

Sometimes you have to see bottom before a real change can happen.

On a side note a recent Home Depot mob smash and grab netted pry bars, sledge hammers, hammers, etc...

Turns out items stolen needed for future smash and grabs...

Need transportation, tools, etc... just steal it... now this includes sledge hammers in mass.

I do think it is worthy getting the news out because its foolish to think what happens clear across the country can't impact me when clearly it can and does.

I met with local council member one on one to walk the business district from the point of view of someone in the trenches... pointing out the shuttered and boarded up businesses that had once been thriving...

He took a lot of pictures and had meetings with city departments asking them why little to no action...

It's the first ray of hope... and a few small improvements noticed...

/ Essential Workers? #222  
So if you are a low income person with a vehicle worth under $1,000 and you are carjacked, does the carjacker not get charged with a crime?
If that’s the way it’s going to be, then it’s a bad law because it discriminates against poor people, right?

/ Essential Workers? #223  
   / Essential Workers?
in calif, even if your convicted of stealing a $75,000 Mercedes, i doubt they get time. they cought a big batch of the kids doing the flash mob thefts of over $400,000 in stuff, they let most of them off with $0 bonds.

what a useless state
One thing seldom spoken about in public is the huge shift in morale in Public Safety.

Law enforcement friends confided they would not risk their life on property crime since there are basically no consequences... Just about all have arrested the same person more than once in the same week...

Many are just keeping their head down and counting the days... in my minute circle of older LEO

Fire EMT get numb responding to same overdose calls week after week.

The very people we depend on are often no longer supported... and Chiefs come and go... I think we once had 4 chiefs in a couple of months.

The mandatory vax is just one more factor...

/ Essential Workers? #225  
All the smash and grab crime just causes everyone else to have to pay more.
I don’t think anyone actually believes that merchants will take the hit on stolen goods and increased insurance rates. WE all pay for that with higher prices.

/ Essential Workers?
Insurance is always lagging indicator.

Insurance Companies have pulled out of CA before over perceived risk...

SF Chronicle says upscale shopping districts sea of plywood... most on shops so far unscathed... just as precaution when its happening in the neighborhood.

I wonder if there is really anyplace safe.

Some that know me have read my connection from time spent in Europe and how USA is a great place to visit but few emigrate here.

This last year I have noticed a crack in that and have met some families that have done it or looking into it

They no longer want to stay in Germany, France, Holland, Austria.

These are all people with good careers, property, etc... well established

I said you think it is better here?

Most believe the US is so big you can find a little slice of heaven in the wide open spaces... they are NOT looking to move to NY, SF, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, etc... but Arizona Texas and Florida...

/ Essential Workers? #227  
vehicle worth under $1,000 and you are carjacked, does the carjacker not get charged with a crime?
Theft at $950 and under is a misdemeanor. Such as smash-and-grab, shoplifting, etc.

Taking property from others under force, or threat of force, is robbery. That is still a felony.

/ Essential Workers? #228  
Theft at $950 and under is a misdemeanor. Such as smash-and-grab, shoplifting, etc.

Taking property from others under force, or threat of force, is robbery. That is still a felony.
Some of those smash and grab guys rough up store employees and guards pretty good!

/ Essential Workers? #229  

SF Chronicle says upscale shopping districts sea of plywood... most on shops so far unscathed... just as precaution when its happening in the neighborhood.

Some that know me have read my connection from time spent in Europe and how USA is a great place to visit but few emigrate here.

This last year I have noticed a crack in that and have met some families that have done it or looking into it

Most believe the US is so big you can find a little slice of heaven in the wide open spaces... they are NOT looking to move to NY, SF, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, etc... but Arizona Texas and Florida...
Arizona, Texas and Florida??? Boy, they must not know anything about America... Not necessarily my idea of a slice of heaven...

/ Essential Workers? #230  

We just hosted 2 women from Belgium and the Netherlands that play on my daughters college field hockey team for Thanksgiving break. They love it here. The one thing they kept mentioning is “freedom” they feel here compared to back home.
We are pretty highly taxed and restrictive here in my state.
Arizona, Texas and Florida are amazing places to live. Low taxes, great weather and great people!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.