ethanol and fuel lines

/ ethanol and fuel lines #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
in the past week I have had to replace the fuel lines in my farm CUV and on my string trimmers. new gas made the old lines crumble. string trimmer is 1yr old.. so it should have been made with a resistant line.. go figure.

can't wait till it eats up my mower and chainsaw.

at the small engine shop where I boiught the new fuel tubing, they said they were 7 WEEKS backed up with work on replacing fuel lines....

soundguy

/ ethanol and fuel lines #2  
Ethanol (even the 15% stuff) is not friendly to spark plugs either. You get a slight heads up in that it starts to miss and loose low rpm power. Then it won't start. All rubber parts in the fuel system start to decompose in the presence of ethanol unless they are specifically designed for E service.

/ ethanol and fuel lines #3  
All of the stations in our area have had ethanol in their gas for some time except 3 stores that sold Phillip 66. Lucky for me one of them was on my way home. I bought all of my gas there for vehicles,tractor,lawn equipment and such. Recently they started adding ethanol. I contacted Phillips 66. They said that they don't produce ethanol or mix it with their fuel. That was done by the distributor. I have not made it to them yet but I intend to complain. I guess after that I will try my hand at pushing a rope or something.

/ ethanol and fuel lines
you'd think the lines made in current gen gas products would be e safe.. go figure. heck even the new tygon fuel line I bought doesn't appear to be esafe.. when i bought the new line, the counter guy said 'see ya next year.. :) '

soundguy

/ ethanol and fuel lines #6  
Yeah the ethanol thing sux. I can find a couple places up here that are still friendly but where I came from in VA it was all E10. I started to use avgas (100LL) in all my small motors. It's around 100+ octane but it does have lead. I found that the oil in the low performance 4 strokes would get dirty quickly but the 2 strokes and atv's loved it. The stuff lasts for years as well. If I didn't use it, like in my lawnmower and boat, I'd at least winterize the engine with the avgas.

/ ethanol and fuel lines #7  
I have owned all my 2 cycle equipment 2 chainsaws, 2 trimmers, bp blower, hand held blower for several years now & have never had a problem. All the gas you buy around here has 10% ethanol

/ ethanol and fuel lines #8  
I have owned all my 2 cycle equipment 2 chainsaws, 2 trimmers, bp blower, hand held blower for several years now & have never had a problem. All the gas you buy around here has 10% ethanol

Same here.

Which means that the next time I go to use the trimmer/chain saw/tiller/ATV... all will have crumbling and leaking fuel lines.

/ ethanol and fuel lines #9  
Same here.

Which means that the next time I go to use the trimmer/chain saw/tiller/ATV... all will have crumbling and leaking fuel lines.

I use mine several times a week for hrs at a time.. No problems... could it be the way that the brand of 2 cycle oil used is reacting with the ethanol ?? I've only used synthetic 2 cycle oil in mine since new

/ ethanol and fuel lines
Yeah the ethanol thing sux. I can find a couple places up here that are still friendly but where I came from in VA it was all E10. I started to use avgas (100LL) in all my small motors. It's around 100+ octane but it does have lead. I found that the oil in the low performance 4 strokes would get dirty quickly but the 2 strokes and atv's loved it. The stuff lasts for years as well. If I didn't use it, like in my lawnmower and boat, I'd at least winterize the engine with the avgas.

yep.. I'm much more fond of real gas vs e10. I had some old real gas in a tractor I let setup for about 7ys.. I cleaned the points, put a new battery in it, turned on the fuel.. still had 2g in the tank.. and she fired on t he first hit..

soundguy